Wax chain lube advice

MrKawamura
MrKawamura Posts: 192
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
I've bought some of the Halfords own wax lube to try. I would like some advice about using this stuff. Firstly, how much should I be putting on? It says on the bottle that I should wipe off the excess - does that mean I should be smothering the chain in order to coat every sqaure millimeter and then wiping off half of it? Seems wastefull, and good for the manufacturers sales.

Should I put some of the lube on the chainring teeth, or will just the chain suffice?

When I come to clean the chain, should I be using a regular degreaser?

Any tips gratefully received.

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I use 'White Lightning', I haven't tried the Halfords stuff. Put on what seems to be a sensible amount. The chain shouldn't look like it's been covered in lard as I did when I first used wax. There was a bit of trial and error.
    MrKawamura wrote:
    Should I put some of the lube on the chainring teeth, or will just the chain suffice?

No. The wax will transfer onto the chainrings / cassette naturally from the chain.
    MrKawamura wrote:
    When I come to clean the chain, should I be using a regular degreaser?

I use WD 40. I don't think that the wax is like an oil type lubricant so I'm not sure that degreaser would work. I'm prepared to be corrected though.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • MrKawamura
    Last week I bought a big bottle of degreaser. I suppose I wasn't thinking about that when I bought the wax. Still, I can use the degreaser on another bike.

Do you just spray on the WD 40 and wipe it down with a rag? How often do you clean it? So many questions.

Would anyone else agree or disagree with crapaud the french toad from Glasgow about the WD 40?
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    As its name implies WD40 is a Water Displacing agent and not necessarily a degreaser. I'd go with one of the many citrus based degreasers that are out there - they smell nice, are kind to the environment and they work.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Crapaud
    Keep the degreaser. In the winter I use Finish Line cross country as the wax solidifies in the cold and flakes off, but there's wax and wax.
    MrKawamura wrote:
    Do you just spray on the WD 40 and wipe it down with a rag? How often do you clean it?

I pour / spray it into a chain cleaning machine and use as normal. Wax is supposed to be self cleaning - it flakes and falls off taking the road grime with it. I clean mine when it looks like it needs cleaned. The Halfords stuff might be different.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • MrKawamura
    One vote for WD40 and one vote for a citrus degreaser.

I've got some spray-on muck-off degreaser. I suppose I could try it and see what happens.
  • Crapaud
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    As its name implies WD40 is a Water Displacing agent and not necessarily a degreaser.

It's AFAIK it's a light oil. The White Lightning wax is in suspension in a light oil which evaporates after application leaving the wax. Hence, WD 40 can be used to clean the chain.

Let us know how you get on with the degreaser though, MrKawamura.
  • McBain_v1
    Like many things, it appears that WD40 is capable of being all things to all me.
    Have a look http://www.wd40.com/Brands/index.html and you will see what I mean :wink:

• ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I've used Finish Line and White Lightning brands. I think the White Lightning is a bit better – I seem to remember it lasting longer anyway.

You can indeed use a degreaser to clean it off, best to clean the chain with one of those chain cleaning attachment-gadgets. The first time you apply it you should clean the chain and cogs of any residue oil beforehand; apply the wax lube once and leave for a couple of hours to dry, then apply a second coating – i.e. 2 moderate applications not one soaking of half a bottle, as you find applying too much causes it to drip off the chain on to the floor. After that you will just need to top up occasionally until the next time you clean the chain.
  • McBain_v1
    Personally I quite like GT85 - it has such a lovely aroma that White Lightning just can't match :wink: