Clipless Pedals and Hills!!!

davieboy1981
davieboy1981 Posts: 28
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Okay, I've not been riding for long, but I've never had a problem clipping in and out of my pedals in most situations except when I have to start on a hill! I just can't do it. Any tips?

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    To an extent, it depends upon the pedals you have and the soles of your shoes. Also make sure your bike is an appropriate gear for the slope (probably not granny-gear, but pretty easy nonetheless).

If your shoes aren't too slippery on the base/soles, clip your preferred foot in and put it at about 1 o'clock. Then push off on the ground (with your non-preferred foot) while you push down on your preferred foot.

Then, during that pedaling motion, get the foot off the ground and use your shoe and pedal like a normal pedal (ie: don't clip in). Once you have some momentum going, you can then afford to try to clip that one in too.

Of course, if your shoes have really slick soles (like mine), this can be tricky. The more you ride, the easier clipping in gets, so I can do it first try most times now. It's also easier for me in Winter has I have boots on over my riding shoes.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Start off by going across the road from the opposite side, and then turning to face up the hill. Obviously when the road is clear. This way gives you 20 ft or so to get your other shoe in its clip.
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Have perfected a single fotted pedalling style to get me going up too steep a hill!

Apart from that, don't stop on hills!!
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    If you are a novice to the strangely named "clipless" pedals you shoud start with double-sided SPD's, it gives you more of a fighting chance to get clipped in before the dreaded 0mph topple!

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • McBain_v1 wrote:
    If you are a novice to the strangely named "clipless" pedals you shoud start with double-sided SPD's, it gives you more of a fighting chance to get clipped in before the dreaded 0mph topple!

it won't prevent it. it happens to us all at some point. just hope it's a soft landing :D
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    ... to the strangely named "clipless" pedals...

How much does that annoy everyone? And how confusing is it to ANY novice. Stupid fareeking history...
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I generally don't have a problem with this, but I did a 70 mile charity ride a month or so back with a mate. I was honking up a hill, and his chain came off. Being the gent I am I stopped and waited for him. As I got back on I (stupidly) left it in the highish gear I'd been using, pushed off, couldn't get my left foot in straight away and toppled over in a heap. My mate nearly fell off as well because he was laughing so hard :D