Walkie talkies....

AllTorque
AllTorque Posts: 31
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Anyone use em?? If so, any recommendations? Am cycling up Ventoux in a week or so and am definitely going to be going at a different pace to my girlfriend (she'll kick my ass before anyone asks).

Thought some walkie talkies could be fun and maybe useful

Comments

• Speck
    Speck Posts: 53
    Check the regulations in France before you go, ie can you use them without a Radio Telecommunications Licence. Check frequencies, power output and mode etc of the unit and do a search on Google or similar.
    He said, "You should be riding a Fixie" I replied, "But, Dad, I'm 62 years old".
  • herbie12
    herbie12 Posts: 41
    I've got a pair I use when I'm snowboarding - saves on the mobile phone bills and is a lot easier to find people when everyone's got one...

They're Motorola T5022s I think, seem to have a pretty good range, but that gets reduced significantly in the mountains... plus the battery life drops dramatically in the cold!

I don't know the full law on their use in Europe, but mine are definitely legal and don't require a licence. I'm pretty sure most 'domestic' ones will be working in the same frequency range, so you should have no trouble.
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    PMR446 is legal throughout Europe. That's the frequency range used by the Motorolas mentioned above and all the ones you see advertised on the likes of WIggle. I have a pair of Cobras, which work fine. They work much better with line of sight, though - they theoretically have a range of 2-3km, but in practice it's more like 1km (around town, maybe better up on a mountain).
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Don't some phones have the Push To Talk facility that allows them to function like a walkie talkie?

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!