Amateur french races eg Alpe d'huez?

RyanBrook
RyanBrook Posts: 195
edited August 2007 in Pro race
Does anybody know where I can find details of any French races happening this summer? Im goin on a two week cycling holiday from the 22nd of this month. I remember an amatuer race up d'huez when I was there around that time a couple of years ago but I couldnt enter as I didnt have a medical certificate with me.

Comments

• Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Not races, but they may be of interest to you.

There are a number of audax rides in the Alps between 27 Aug and 3 Sept.

details can be found at:

www.audax.uk.net then click on calendar then the event for full details of contact.

No need for medical certificates, and cheap to enter. And as they are not races you will not feel as if you have lost if you don't finish first :wink:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I know of no events in August/September including Alpe d’Huez - maybe just local cycling club races? Remember the climb has more esteem in the UK and Holland than in France, where it’s almost just another hill.

If you want to enter something, the cyclosportive La Prealpes takes place on 25 August, starts at Les Echelles (14 miles SW of Chambery), two routes about 100 or 140 Km distance, 25 Euro to register in advance, or 30 Euros on the day.
    The route is quite good (though going away from the true Alps) however the organisation, etc has been only judged okay in the past. The longer route includes Col de Granier, and both routes include Col de l’Epine.

If I were you, I’d do it for the experience.
  • Floodcp
    Floodcp Posts: 190
    There is a TT up Alpe d'Huez every Monday night a 5pm in July and August. I believe you will need either a racing license or a medical certificate. Probably best if you have both, just in case.

Flood
  • "Floodcp wrote:
    I believe you will need either a racing license or a medical certificate.
    Medical Certificate as in "certified"? :wink:
    Men in white coats time!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • RyanBrook
    Cheers guys, the TT on Moday 27th would be perfect. If I remember correctly the times in the race a couple of years ago ranged from late 40's to 1hr 20 so there was a good mix of abilities. They posted the results on the shop window in Bourg. Do you know if there is a website or a number to phone number to enter? Or am I best just waiting until I get there?

The other races sound very tempting too, I'll check them out
  • Floodcp
    Floodcp Posts: 190
    I believe you can sign up for the TT in the tourist infomation office in Bourg D'Osians.
    Check out the link (if it works) for further information. Check under activities/organised activities. http://www.bourgdoisans.com/otbo_uk/index_uk.htm

Flood
  • RyanBrook
    The last race Bourg d'Oisans - l'Alpe d'Huez will be held on the 20th of August.

To participate you need a medical certificate or a licence FFC UCI, helmet is obligatory.
    The race costs:

6 € if you own a licence
    8 € if you do not have a licence

We will ask a deposit (20 € check or ID) because we will lend you a chip.

We look forward to seeing you in Bourg d'Oisans soon,

Cordially,

Le Service Accueil

:evil: I miss it by one week. I really feel like stamping my feet!!

Office de Tourisme
  • Here is a web site that lists many, though not all, of the major cyclosportives, as well as VTT, cyclotourisme events throughout the year. You can enter some of them from this web site, or they have contact details. Or, usually, you can turn in plenty of time before the start or the evening before and register there.

You don't have to have a license for most of these events. However, you do need a medical certificate. Some only require one within the last 12 months, but some require one from within the last 3 months. These you can get from your doctor, but they may want them in French! They just have to say you are fit to ride a bike in competition.

Anyway, here is the web site.

http://www.velo101.com/

Cheers,

starless
  • RyanBrook
    Thanks very much, I like the sound of la Vercors-Drome. My route has me there at that on the 25th so that could work out well.
  • That looks like a good cyclosportive to me. A long way from where I live in France (La Vienne), otherwise I'd be interested.

You can register online for this sportive on the velo101 web site, but you'll still have to show your medical certificate when you arrive. One for the year will do, according to the rules. A photocopy is best, then you can just hand it over. Make sure it says "vélo en competition."

You can either register and pick up your pack the day before, between 9 and 6, or on the day between 6 and 7.45. The race starts at 8.00. It will cost you 35 euros.

If you have found your way around the web site, you'll know all this already.

Cheers,

starless
  • Oh, and you can look at this.

http://www.vercorsdrome.com/

starless
  • You may want try try your hand at the Lapebie. We have a couple of guys coming over for the event which is 156K and includes the Port de Bales which was the new HC introduced into this years tour as well as the Etape.

It is on Sunday the 2nd of September with registration on the Saturday afternoon. You can enter on line by using the following link.

www.lalapebie.org

If you are interested we have one room left. Please feel free to check us out at:

http://www.peak-times.com/supported_cycling_breaks.htm
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • Hi Peak Times,

Your place looks great.

I'm based much further north, but have travelled to climb Ventoux and Le Tourmalet over the last couple of years. I have a trip into the Massif Central this September.

I'm already sorted for Sept 2nd, as I'm doing L'Ecureuil in Creuse, but I'll have a think about next year.

Consider your web site bookmarked!

Cheers,

starless
  • I rode the Alpe d'Huez today, 49:49. As mentioned it is on each monday at 5pm from Bourg d'Oisans tourist office. I am also riding PreAlp event near Chambery this w'end. Last year I rode the Vercors/Drome event long course which is my fave sportive of all. Great atmosphere & beautiful riding terrain. They have changed the routes this year but it is still very challenging so i've entered the 140km. I wrote up a report on last years ride on the following blog. see you there good luck I know a few other brits riding too.
    www.bikeandski-vercors.com