Phil and Friends - is anyone going this weekend?

Well more to the point, is anyone doing the 100km? I did it for the 1st time last year. Chappeau to those who don't fear the 150 with Winnats after so many kms!.

Altho I haven't been able to get as many miles under my tires this year as I would have liked, the chance to get back up to Yorkshire is too great.

I'll be riding my new (to me) Spech Rubaix. - great bike, crap perch. When pennies allow, that will get changed!

JB
2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html

Comments

• Yes, hope to be there, did the 150 last year but will be doing the 100 this year,
    Look out for an old green Mercian and Marmite jersey.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • Anybode else riding this tomorrow? I have had a morning fettling my bike today and am just about to shop for a picnic! looks like being a nice day out, see you on Winnatts!
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • this FORUM is far to trendy for this ride ill be there old kona top with velocitizen
    rideing more drinking less 2007 good year
  • Did this ride with my bro’ Mat (Stelaking)for the second year today, a 100km or 63 mile ride out of Sheffield, left at 8.30 towards Holmfirth, and then up Holme moss to the transmitter and on to Glossop for an egg bun, through Hayfield, Chapel-on-le-frith and then up a long climb before dropping down into Edale for more food and past Ladybower reservoir and up the A57 back to Stannington, bit of rain and surface water made some of the descents and corners a bit tricky, but it brightened up later on.
    Met some great, friendly and inspirational people, Phil Liggett making it a real social event, a man from CTC taking pictures and video who told me Brian Robinson was out riding over Holme moss, Brian was the first British rider to complete the Tour de France in 1955, nice to see him out still riding at 76, a fair few other riders out with a few more years than me in their legs were keeping a pace which we had to just hang in with, special mention to a man and his young son on a child-back tandem ‘That was some bike-ride’, John who originally posted this who sought me out whilst the chef prepared his beans on toast, (were they worth the wait?)and then to top it all, at the finish as we rolled in 7 hours later an old friend Nigel who I met in Nepal and have only seen once in 6 years or so, he had gone for the extra pain of Winnatts pass and the 150km route.(We had avoided that pain this year!)
    A great sociable ride through some great rain-soaked scenery, up some great hills!..See you next year?
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • Michuel
    Michuel Posts: 269
    It's my favorite ride. I had some minor mechanicals on Sunday so just rode the course at a fair pace - but dropped 1 1/2 hrs behind my 2005 ride.

On Monday I did the Holmfirth-HM-Glossop-Snake-Strines circuit. Halfway up Ewden at the farm I heard a snarl and felt teeth in my shoe. I accelerated but couldn't get rid of the terrier for 50 or 100 yds.

1/2 mile down the Glossop road from Woodhead a motorcyclist a couple of minutes in front of me hit a tree and bounced back to the centre of road. Traffic was blocked on the road till I reached Glossop. Luckily there was a doctor in one of the cars who attended to him. I heard sirens about 20 minutes afterwards. At Richmond Park when there was an accident the ambulances were there after 10 mins.

Today's wet and I've just done the reverse circuit.

Come on you Huddersfield/Sheffield guys organise some more sportives in this area (I know there's the MoorsnMasts on 26th).
  • cacbyname
    cacbyname Posts: 285
    I did the ride but wimped out of the 150km ride and went to 100km after I started getting a twinge in my knee. I managed to lose my armwarmers early on in the ride, but overall I enjoyed it and thought it was a great route and well run. The fact that it was signposted this year made it a massive improvement over the previous year.

I felt a bit sorry for Phil after he said "we'll set off in groups of 20-30, starting with the people behind the red line" at which point everyone just set off en masse. :D
  • I did the 150k ride this year, having missed it every other year due to holidays. It's a tough one, isn't it? I found it harder than the Polka Dot (which I did last year) and quite a bit harder than the Ron Kitching ride. Not as hard as the White Rose Classic, however.

I turned up for the ride on my own, but ended up riding most of the way with three blokes I'd never met before (Alan, Dave and Liam), who were going at a similar pace to me (ie not very fast). It's always easier to ride in company, isn't it?

We did the ride in about 8hrs 10min with 2 good cafe stops (at Edale and Calver). We got wet going over Hollme Moss and down into Glossop, and wet again at the top of Winnats, but we finished the ride in glorious sunshine. I managed to get up Winnats on my triple, but I wouldn't have managed it on a double, so Chapeau to anyone who did.

All in all, an enjoyable day out.

Andrew
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Did the 150 - enjoyed the ride though the route was harder than I remembered it - getting a soaking over Holme Moss didn't help though at least I had a rain jacket with me after last year. Luckily my mate blew up having been off the bike for a few weeks so I had a perfect excuse to take it easy and ride round with him.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • I sort of enjoyed it again this year but with so many kms not in my legs, I ended up doing the same overall time as last year. :( However, I met "the man " himself and had a good chat with him. mainly about the last day of the Tour de france and what a waste of a race it is. He was less than complimentary about it.
    However what about that climb early on just after the sharp right hander on the bridge! I thought that was worse than Holme Moss (even tho I was prepared for it in my memory from last years ride). It never seems to get a mention. I'd love to know its gradient at the start and the end.
    Again chapeau to those who did the 150.
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

• Michuel
    However what about that climb early on just after the sharp right hander on the bridge! I thought that was worse than Holme Moss (even tho I was prepared for it in my memory from last years ride). It never seems to get a mention. I'd love to know its gradient at the start and the end.

The climb is known as Ewden bank (tho P&F call another name). It's some distance (1-2m) from Ewden village. Tom Boonen crashed descending on the steep corner last year. On the descent it's signposted as 1 in 4. Probably 10% average. But the P&F in 2001 went up Bradfield from Low Bradfield to High Bradfield as well (we detoured to enter high Bradfield by the church) - that climb is very hard. But to me on Sunday Winnats was the worse - very strong headwind and rain.

Did he do the whole ride on Sunday?
  • Michuel
    The CTC points to the film made of Phil Liggets ride - Brian Robinson is shown

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OuTaNmdhAYQ
  • Michuel wrote:
    It's my favorite ride. I had some minor mechanicals on Sunday so just rode the course at a fair pace - but dropped 1 1/2 hrs behind my 2005 ride.

On Monday I did the Holmfirth-HM-Glossop-Snake-Strines circuit. Halfway up Ewden at the farm I heard a snarl and felt teeth in my shoe. I accelerated but couldn't get rid of the terrier for 50 or 100 yds.
    1/2 mile down the Glossop road from Woodhead a motorcyclist a couple of minutes in front of me hit a tree and bounced back to the centre of road. Traffic was blocked on the road till I reached Glossop. Luckily there was a doctor in one of the cars who attended to him. I heard sirens about 20 minutes afterwards. At Richmond Park when there was an accident the ambulances were there after 10 mins.

Today's wet and I've just done the reverse circuit.

Come on you Huddersfield/Sheffield guys organise some more sportives in this area (I know there's the MoorsnMasts on 26th).

That wouldnt be the 3 legged terrier would it ? i know that dog very well the many times ive cycled up that hill, at least the geese didnt get you !!!
  • Thats a nice video, sums up the ride, I will be up there again next year for it.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • Michuel wrote:
    The CTC points to the film made of Phil Liggets ride - Brian Robinson is shown

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OuTaNmdhAYQ

Thanks for posting the link. Phil and his cycling friends had just passed me when they went passed the tandem dad and son shown in the video. Shame they couldn't show more of Ewden bank or Holme Moss but then again, the chap doing the videoing only had a stills camera (with video function) so i suppose it was a big ask (and to ride as well!!!)

JB

• Michuel
    then again, the chap doing the videoing only had a stills camera (with video function) so i suppose it was a big ask (and to ride as well!!!)

JB

I was talking to him before Ewden and I'm certain he had a pure video camera. It's possible he also had a still camera which he used later. Or maybe I'm mistaken.

Did Robbo do the whole ride or stop at HM?