Cyclists - Bad for the environment?

bahzob
bahzob Posts: 2,195
edited August 2007 in Campaign
Occurs to me that cyclists may be getting a bit too smug about being green. So in the interests of balance may be worth listing some ways cyclists are bad for the environment. Just for starters:

Obvious one to start: the discarded gel sachets that get spread over the mountainside by a bunch of cyclists thinking they are so behaving like the pros.

It being a badge of honour amongst some to have as many bikes as there are days in the week/month/year. (whereas familes having any/more than one car is bad)

Excess CO2 emitted by cars waiting to pass a bunch of cyclists somehow oblivious to their presence.

Extra burden placed on social services/NHS etc by cyclists living longer

Not asking where does all the aluminium/steel/carbon/rubber etc used to make bikes come from?

Always seeking the latest go faster/lighter/stronger (and presumably chucking the old one in the bin)

Discarded clothes resulting from weight loss.
Martin S. Newbury RC

Comments

• Heresy !! Get the torches, lads.....
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • Kaipaith
    Kaipaith Posts: 44
    It seems to me that it is very difficult to do anything without having an impact on the environment. What you can do is try to limit it. Much of what you describe is either attributable to bad behaviour not cycling as such, or is out of cyclists control.

For example, discarded gel packets. I've never used them, let alone thrown them away in the street. I'm certain we can all agree that best practice would be to stick it in your pocket until you find a bin. This certainly isn't the fault of all cyclists... just like not all drivers throw cigarettes or half eaten Maccy D's out of windows.

Naturally bikes aren't made from thin air, but then cars aren't either. I would be interested to see a comparison of the carbon footprint from the production of an "environmentally friendly" car in comparison to the production of a bike.

The NHS argument isn't really environmental, but the burden of living longer? Has your lifeclock started blinking? :wink: It seems to me that the NHS is more concerned about people not living healthy lives putting more strain on it, otherwise it wouldn't spend so much time and effort on smoking cessation clinics, etc.

As for the excess CO2 argument, if the cyclist holding up the traffic were to drive the same route, even more would be emitted. Of course they could lift share... or even better, both could cycle, thereby reducing the pollution even further.

Cycling isn't the greatest good... but it is the lesser of two evils by a long shot.
  • hugo 1st
    hugo 1st Posts: 45
    bahzob wrote:
    Occurs to me that cyclists may be getting a bit too smug about being green. So in the interests of balance may be worth listing some ways cyclists are bad for the environment. Just for starters:

Obvious one to start: the discarded gel sachets that get spread over the mountainside by a bunch of cyclists thinking they are so behaving like the pros.

Never use them, only chuck banana skins if they'll not be visible.

It being a badge of honour amongst some to have as many bikes as there are days in the week/month/year. (whereas familes having any/more than one car is bad)

I've 3 bikes, they're years old and will outlast my newer car easily

Excess CO2 emitted by cars waiting to pass a bunch of cyclists somehow oblivious to their presence.

Badly designed cars on wasteful journeys

Hardly, the cyclists will be fitter and less prone to illness altho' may be injured by badly driven autos, as may others

Not asking where does all the aluminium/steel/carbon/rubber etc used to make bikes come from?

Steel lasts and can be recycled

Always seeking the latest go faster/lighter/stronger (and presumably chucking the old one in the bin)

Don't need to, I am fast enough as it is!

Discarded clothes resulting from weight loss.

What weight loss? You have to put it on to lose it :)

..but anyway, you assume I care about being green? The planet will go to hell in a handcart whatever I might do. Talk to the yank and chinks if you are so bothered.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    You forgot contributing to global warming by having the sun shine out of our arses. 8)
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • AndyGates wrote:
    You forgot contributing to global warming by having the sun shine out of our arses. 8)

We have a winner!
  • david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    AndyGates wrote:

Finally I understand what motorists have against us :lol:

That plus: Healthier = Lives longer - and that really increases your carbon footprint...
  • AndyGates wrote:

:lol::lol:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792

Surely the same argument could be used for the claimed advances in car safety?

And all those new treatments for Cancer, they should be stopped as well!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    On one front I am slightly uneasy and that is that I take my mountainbike half way across the country to the various mountainbike centres that exist up here. In contrast I always ride out from the house when I'm using the road bike. On balance I reckon that mountainbiking is not that great for the environment compared to roadbiking.
    I have pain!