SatMap - wtf is going on!

toontra
toontra Posts: 1,160
edited September 2009 in Tour & expedition
Does anyone have any idea what is going on with SatMap? They are now several months behind their advertised release date (and as far as I'm aware have missed subsequent deadlines). The contact number on their website is no longer active. There is no news I can find anywhere on when the unit will be available.

It hardly gives confidence in the company going into the future in terms of warranty, supply, etc.

a serious case of small cogs

Comments

• squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I've been wondering that myself. I signed up for one, but I've started wondering if I wanted to get a release version given that there is obviously a (big?) problem that is causing the release to be constantly delayed.
  • squired
    A quick update - just phoned this number +44 (0)845 873 0101 and got through.

The person told me that they expect to receive the units at the end of the month, then start shipping them in the first two weeks of September. Did mention that there could always be delays to the schedule though....
  • toontra
    Thanks for the info, squired!

• Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Satmap really does appear to be pants.....they hook you in with a really good looking product, they answer all your questions with answers that please and then it's release is delayed and delayed and delayed.
    The website hasn't changed a bit from the day the countdown to launch reached 0.00.00 back in March. On 19th June I asked for updates on what was happening as they hadn't released much since the email they originally sent out in March that said they would update regularly. The rely: If you keep an eye on our website (which is going live in a week or two) all updates will be on there!!!

Sounds like a classic case of 'if it sounds to good to be true'. :?
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Sounds more like a case of the marketing department running the technical department. :?

Looks an excellent product though - if it lives up to the hype.
  • This frequently happens with high tech gear in my experiance.
    I'd question it more if it didn't happen in that - they didn't test it & find the faults.

The suunto x9i is a prime example - that had a launch date, missed that by 6 months or so before being relaunched
  • toontra
    It's still not released. I wonder how the people who were invited to place an order back in January are feeling.

• squired
    I was considering contacting them again, but I don't see why I should be chasing a company about giving them money. Might be worth giving the number a call. As you will see from my post a few weeks ago, they were suggesting that the units would be available in early September. In fact the guy I spoke to at the time was very convincing, and made it sound as though everything was set in stone for the release of the unit...

I'm at the point now where I will probably hold off when it is released, possibly even considering the new Garmin Edge that is due to be released soon as an alternative option.
  • Latest news is they are in the UK & next week being despatched from the distributer
  • toontra wrote:
    It's still not released. I wonder how the people who were invited to place an order back in January are feeling.

PISSED OFF, that's what!!! :evil: :cry:
  • squired wrote:
    I was considering contacting them again, but I don't see why I should be chasing a company about giving them money. Might be worth giving the number a call. As you will see from my post a few weeks ago, they were suggesting that the units would be available in early September. In fact the guy I spoke to at the time was very convincing, and made it sound as though everything was set in stone for the release of the unit...

I'm at the point now where I will probably hold off when it is released, possibly even considering the new Garmin Edge that is due to be released soon as an alternative option.

I'll be holding off too....at least until I see some in shops and/or TGO type magazine reviews.

I see a couple of days ago they changed their page here http://www.satmap.com/eshot/index_1.php to say Available September....even though through the first 26 days of September it said Available August :? And it's October on Monday..... :arrow:

On 19th June they said their website would be going live and it still isn't so it can't all be down to getting the products from the manufacturers.

There currently isn't anything else like it (except perhaps the Road Angel being sold by Memory Map) so I think I will stick to uploading screencaps of Memory Map to my camera....it's worked fine for the last couple of years :(
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I wonder if the delay is negotiations/arguments with the OS rather than technical?
    And no PC is needed: just insert the Map Cards straight into the Active 10 itself, without having to enter any complicated unlock codes.
    If that's true, is there anything to stop you copying one SD card onto another and using the copy in a different Satmap (ie swapping map data)? It's unlikely that the OS would permit that.

Has anyone gone for the no deposit pre-order?
  • andrew_s wrote:
    I wonder if the delay is negotiations/arguments with the OS rather than technical?
    And no PC is needed: just insert the Map Cards straight into the Active 10 itself, without having to enter any complicated unlock codes.
    If that's true, is there anything to stop you copying one SD card onto another and using the copy in a different Satmap (ie swapping map data)? It's unlikely that the OS would permit that.

Has anyone gone for the no deposit pre-order?

I doubt the problems are with the OS....they seem to have been on board long ago with Satmap featuring in the outdoor show sponsored by OS back in March. You don't need to enter complicated codes to unlock additional maps on Memory Map on a PC or PDA either...only the initial softwware so you could swap map data with that too.

There is nothing stopping you from copying one SD card on to another.....in fact downloading the map from their site and putting it on to your own SD card is advertised as an option.....you can also put several maps on to one SD card although you then need to manually crossover between the maps areas when you reach their boundary as the unit will default to the inbuilt vector map.

Yes I went for the deposit free pre-order (back in April) and I have not heard a jot from them since...and if they are being dispatched from the distributer next week I would have expected to hear from them by now.

I have found on the web that the handlebar mount is £19.95
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    andrew_s wrote:

I doubt the problems are with the OS....they seem to have been on board long ago with Satmap featuring in the outdoor show sponsored by OS back in March. You don't need to enter complicated codes to unlock additional maps on Memory Map on a PC or PDA either...only the initial softwware so you could swap map data with that too.

There is nothing stopping you from copying one SD card on to another.....in fact downloading the map from their site and putting it on to your own SD card is advertised as an option.....you can also put several maps on to one SD card although you then need to manually crossover between the maps areas when you reach their boundary as the unit will default to the inbuilt vector map.

Erm I think andrew_s askes a very good question. Maybe OS are relaxed about any map card being used by any SatMap machine, but frankly I seriously doubt it. Ditto copying. (I can't find any reference to that on the SatMap website or the pdf that backs up your claims - you may well be right but personally I'd want to see the small print and not rely on claims made on a web forum).

The pdf talks about downloading routes whisch isn't the same as downloading maps.

If I were buying one of these I'd want some answers about:

- can I make backup copies of my maps? If so what happens when the card goes down?
    - will the maps I buy work with any SatMap machine, and if not what happens if my SatMap has to be replaced? How would I register the maps to a new machine?
  • Rob Sallnow
    andymiller wrote:
    andrew_s wrote:

Erm I think andrew_s askes a very good question. Maybe OS are relaxed about any map card being used by any SatMap machine, but frankly I seriously doubt it. Ditto copying. (I can't find any reference to that on the SatMap website or the pdf that backs up your claims - you may well be right but personally I'd want to see the small print and not rely on claims made on a web forum).

The pdf talks about downloading routes whisch isn't the same as downloading maps.

- can I make backup copies of my maps? If so what happens when the card goes down?
    - will the maps I buy work with any SatMap machine, and if not what happens if my SatMap has to be replaced? How would I register the maps to a new machine?

Yes it was a very good question and although I obviously don't know the exact reason for the delay I would put my money on it being technical rather than due to the OS. Part of this comes from the fact that the device is completely independant from a PC (unless you buy the maps as downloads and then stick it on your own SD card using a card reader or upload routes from Googlemaps etc) and the mapping cannot be used on a PC desktop like MM and Tracklogs etc...though in a question to them they did say that they plan to offer an online route planning tool they didn't say how detailed the maps would be....it might be only like Googlemaps. The bit about downloading maps is not on either of the two PDFs but the eshot that had the link to the two PDFs

The answer I gave about the SD cards was based on email exchanges I had with Satmap.....the PDF's give next to bugger all information....the website even less.

Part of the exchange:

Them
    ....Following feedback from the NEC show, we will be bringing out full GB mapping on a 2 SD Card box set at 1:50,000, for £165. We will also be bringing out all the National Parks on one SD Card (also at 1:50k) and every UK County at 1:25k (on individual SD Cards)....

Me:
    Thank you for the replies to my questions....they were all good news with the exception of the lack of a 'half the country at 1:50,000' option as offered by the likes of Memory Map (which I already have), Anquet and Fugawi....especially if the GB title is supplied on two SD cards anyway. Perhaps the feedback was affected by the location of the survey....if you live halfway up the country you are in a position to make better use of full coverage but living here in Plymouth I've only got realistic access to the southern half of England and Wales.
    Assuming that you are not able to expand your...err..100 titles to 102 and I buy the southwest area at launch is it possible to buy the areas to the east and northish later by download and then put all three areas on my own blank SD card...and if so would you have to select the area you want manually on the Active 10 as you cross in to the new area or would it do it seamlessly. And is the £49 per area price any cheaper if you buy it as a download?

Them

I do apologise: I wasn’t clear in my earlier response. There will also be a half GB option as per Memory Map et al, and it has an RRP of £100.

If you want to build up a collection of maps for the area gradually though by using the downloads, this too is an option, but in truth a more expensive one:

- as you quite rightly say, the downloads are cheaper than a pre-loaded card (by about £10 per map)

- you can indeed load 3 areas onto your own SD card via the downloads

- unfortunately the SD Card would not track seamlessly between the 3 different map packs loaded: you would still have to manually select the appropriate one. This is because the Active 10 comes pre-loaded with full UK road mapping and if you travel off the edge of a map on an SD Card it automatically defaults to the base road map in order to ensure you are not traveling in an area devoid of any visual references. Your point is a very good one though and we will see if we can implement it as a software upgrade, but to be honest I think it unlikely at launch.
  • Rob Sallnow
    http://www.proadventure.co.uk/acatalog/ ... pping.html

Pro Adventure seem to have updated their Satmap section with some pictures of among other things, the handlebar mount....£25 buys you this!?
    satmapbikemount.jpg

looks like the kind of thing you should find in the box in the first place!! :?
  • toontra
    http://www.proadventure.co.uk/acatalog/Satmap_Active_10_GPS_and_Mapping.html

Pro Adventure seem to have updated their Satmap section with some picture of among other things, the handlebar mount....£25 buys you this!? looks like the kind of thing you should find in the box in the first place!! :?

satmapbikemount.jpg

That is plain ridiculous!!! Looks like a £5 optional extra tops, or as you say something that should be in the box to begin with. Manufacture cost - pennies!

The more this SatMap thing drags on the more I'm going off the idea. I was so enthusiastic 10 months ago!

• Rob Sallnow
    toontra wrote:

That is plain ridiculous!!! Looks like a £5 optional extra tops, or as you say something that should be in the box to begin with. Manufacture cost - pennies!

The more this SatMap thing drags on the more I'm going off the idea. I was so enthusiastic 10 months ago!

Tell me about it!!! :? I thought 'that has to be a mistake...they've posted the wrong picture' but no.....you can buy it via Amazon too...and save a penny :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_1/2 ... map&page=1
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    Errr... hang on,

So if I want to plot a route to follow, then I need Tracklogs, Memory Map or Anquet etc.. on my PC, then I buy another copy of the maps to run on the Satmap box?

I can't say I'd want to plan a days cycling on a 3.5" screen !

This is probably what I've always wanted. I suspect I'll be sticking with a Garmin eTrex.
  • Rob Sallnow
    bryanm wrote:
    Errr... hang on,

So if I want to plot a route to follow, then I need Tracklogs, Memory Map or Anquet etc.. on my PC, then I buy another copy of the maps to run on the Satmap box?

I can't say I'd want to plan a days cycling on a 3.5" screen !

This is probably what I've always wanted. I suspect I'll be sticking with a Garmin eTrex.

If you want Landranger maps on your PC to plan routes on then yes, you will have to have Memory Map or Tracklogs as well....or you can use Googlemaps or similar to get a route but obviously that's of limited use if you go offroad or want to see how hilly a couple of alternative route options are....Satmap say they will have an online route planner but I don't know what mapping this is based on....perhaps it will be based on the same thing Ordnance Survey has launched on their website or it may look like the mapping equivalent of the handlebar mount.

Or maybe some clever spark will hack the Satmap to enable a PC based viewer.
  • Rob Sallnow
    According to a post by one of the Satmap people on a GPS forum...
    Having sent our first batch to our distributors today i expect you will start to see the units in the shops by the end of next week, with new batches coming in on a weekly basis
    No information about the people that reserved a unit from them directly :?

About the bike mount:

With regards to the bikemount comment made above, the picture shown is not all of the bikemount, you also need to have a replacement battery back mould that is the male part to the mount, and £25 is still cheaper than the Megellan Bikemount at £39.00 or indeed better than the non existent road angel bikemount.

Perhaps if they show all the bike mount they won't have people thinking £25 for a strap is a lot of money :?
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Personally I think they'd have done better producing a water-resistant PDA/GPS (which is what it is except they've hobbled it). I don't think many people will be prepared to buy the satmap maps as well as Memory-Map maps. Personally I find a an etrex plus a pda with MM Pocket Navigator is a pretty good compromise.

Rob - thanks for the information. I'm still asking myself 'where's the catch? - they're bound to have some sort of copy protection/digital rights management in there somewhere'. Perhaps I'm just a cynic though. I'll definitely leave it to the early adopters to test it out!
  • Rob Sallnow
    andymiller wrote:
    Rob - thanks for the information. I'm still asking myself 'where's the catch? - they're bound to have some sort of copy protection/digital rights management in there somewhere'. Perhaps I'm just a cynic though. I'll definitely leave it to the early adopters to test it out!

I can't see how something that is independent from a PC and has the advertised option to put content from either the downloads or a selection of SD cards on to your own SD card again advertised as being with 'no complicated unlocking codes' can have copy protection.

I'm waiting for the reviews...the person that posted from Satmap said a leading outdoors type person has reviewed it but he doesn't know where it will appear.

Further to my commment about 'what about the people who pre-ordered a unit?'

People on the pre-order list will be contacted next week. The units are being shipped over in staggered ammounts, so even though they will start to be in the shops by next week, they will not be widely available for another 2 to 3 weeks so people on the pre-order list will still be having units before they are readily available on the retail market

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.p ... c&start=45
  • Rob Sallnow
    The latest on this now is that units are appearing iin certain outdoor type shops this week.....and those that registered with the company as long ago as January will be emailed next week.
  • Rob Sallnow
    They've launched their website!!!! :shock:
  • Rob Sallnow
    andymiller wrote:

It would appear official that the answers are YES (the OS terms and conitions allow one backup copy to be made) and YES (you can swap our maps between units (just as you can swap paper maps with your friends), so the maps are not locked to any single Active 10. ]:D
  • squired
    I went to one website yesterday that was saying their first batch had already been shipped to customers that had pre-ordered. Hopefully there will be some feedback soon.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    We hope to get one of these in soon...
  • Rob Sallnow
    squired wrote:
    I went to one website yesterday that was saying their first batch had already been shipped to customers that had pre-ordered. Hopefully there will be some feedback soon.

I think that must be to the small network of shops that had pre-orders....I pre-ordered via Satmap back in March and have still not even had an email asking to confirm the order yet! :?
  • Ok folks I just tried to copy one of the SD cards with my local map on... It doesn't work.

It appears to contain 3 files on the original & I can copy all 3 to my (larger) 1gb card (the idea being living on the border of 2 counties I can copy 2 cards to one so I dont have to keep swaping them.

I tried 2 different blank sd cards - both 1gb though - maybe the unit just doesn't like them... although they are both sandisk & thats what the 2 county maps have come on.

Other than that I've not had much chance to test the unit other than turn it on & set the time!