New riders: Buckled wheels

Raikkenon
Raikkenon Posts: 9
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Buckled wheels

Hi guys, I just got my first road bike after using trails and mountain bikes for a few years, hence to say I have already taken a fall, split my head open, graved elbows and hands, but im ready for more (yes I do now have a helmet :p )
Anyway, I notice my front wheel is buckled, now this is no doubt to the 5ft fall it took but what is strange is that my buddy who has the same bike also has buckled wheels on the front, now we are new to riding so don’t really know how hes got buckled considering we have only rode 25miles on them they should be brand new still. The bikes are Carrera Virtuoso

My first of many questions im sure!
Do you need special wheels to be able to ride on the road? I mean I thought the ones that came with the bike would be fine, but it seems they are a bit weak, he hasn’t hit any pot holes, been on any super bump roads or anything, I fell 5ft on my bike took a large hit and our front wheels are buckled to a similar degree..
Do we need stronger wheels? How do you tell if a wheel is rugged enough?
Is it possible to straighten a buckled wheel?

Many thanks..

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I too have a carrera virtuoso. The wheels are fine, quite strong really. I've hit many pot holes, and been along very rough roads, I have even taken it off road for a few miles and it's still fine. The problem with the wheels is that they are quite heavy - but strength is no problem with them.

I've done over 500miles with the bike so far, and there's been no problems and I've been treating it rather roughly.

How did you fall 5 feet?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I too have a carrera virtuoso. The wheels are fine, quite strong really. I've hit many pot holes, and been along very rough roads, I have even taken it off road for a few miles and it's still fine. The problem with the wheels is that they are quite heavy - but strength is no problem with them.

I've done over 500miles with the bike so far, and there's been no problems and I've been treating it rather roughly.

How did you fall 5 feet?

Really? they do sound like quite rugged bikes! i wonder how ours are buckled? very strange, perhaps the axles on the wheel have moved? is there a way to check?

about my fall, it was dark and by me we have underpasses that go through round-abouts and one side is steps and one side is a slope, i got it wrong and ended up flying down the steps lol! landed on the middle set of steps 5ft down from the top and 5ft from the bottom! could have been alot worse
  • mossycp
    mossycp Posts: 233
    Do you need special wheels to be able to ride on the road?
    No, The ones that came with the bike should be fine but if there weren't made very well then they can easily go out of true. Take them back to Halfrauds to get they re trued.
    Do we need stronger wheels?
    No, unlikely
    How do you tell if a wheel is rugged enough?
    You don't really. They're all rugged enough depending on what you do with them and how well built they are. Rider weight may have an effect but only on really lightweight bling wheels. The wheels on the Carrera will definately be rugged enough for general road riding, they just don't appear to have been built very well.
    Is it possible to straighten a buckled wheel?
    Yes, fairly easily with a spoke key, although it takes a fair bit of practise before you stop swearing and cursing that it won't go straight. My advice - take it the LBS - they'll straighten it for a few quid.
    Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}
  • redddraggon
    Have you got the front wheel on properly? Tyres pumped up to correct psi?

There's no reason the wheel should have buckled. I'm 13 stone and 5"8' so not that light for my height and I've had no problems with the wheels, and I haven't had any of the you know what either - even snakebits after regularly hitting the curb. For less than £300 I reckon the virtuoso is good for the money, its not a light bike, but a strong bike - so suits my style of riding. I had to adjust the bike after I got it from halfords, but otherwise it's perfect for the job I need it for.

I think both of you must have got unlucky.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Have you got the front wheel on properly? Tyres pumped up to correct psi?

There's no reason the wheel should have buckled. I'm 13 stone and 5"8' so not that light for my height and I've had no problems with the wheels, and I haven't had any of the you know what either - even snakebits after regularly hitting the curb. For less than £300 I reckon the virtuoso is good for the money, its not a light bike, but a strong bike - so suits my style of riding. I had to adjust the bike after I got it from halfords, but otherwise it's perfect for the job I need it for.

I think both of you must have got unlucky.

yea i think your right reddraggon, just unlucky, oh im not sure what pressure we are running in the tyres, as they are pumped with a hand pump as hard as they go, i guess after taking them to be straightened at the weekend, an investment in a footpump with gauge is required to check them

out of interest, what adjustments did you need to make to your bike? so far ive had to adjust the breaks no end, and im still having trouble with the gears, getting it on the largest cog on the front sprocket.
  • redddraggon
    Rotated handlebars forward, had the bend the front derailler a bit, played with the brakes, changed the pedals, added rack for commute during week
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I'm considering a cheap, strong bike for the winter and keep my Allez for best (dry :wink:).
    Will the Virtuoso take mudguards easily?
  • Lagavulin wrote:
    I'm considering a cheap, strong bike for the winter and keep my Allez for best (dry :wink:).

where do mudguards fit on to? so far ive attached a pump, saddle bag, lights, speedo with no problem, if it attaches to the stem of the seat i don't think you'd be able to run a saddle bag
  • redddraggon
    Lagavulin wrote:

Yeh easily, it has the eyelets on the back for it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Raikkenon wrote:
    about my fall, it was dark and by me we have underpasses that go through round-abouts and one side is steps and one side is a slope, i got it wrong and ended up flying down the steps lol! landed on the middle set of steps 5ft down from the top and 5ft from the bottom! could have been alot worse

erm...I would expect most (road bike) wheels to be buckled to some extent after an incident like that! Sounds pretty nasty. Get them straightened and take it easier in future! I think hitting any kind of step/pothole hard is pretty bad for a wheel generally speaking so you'll have to get used to keeping an eye out for, and avoiding, pot holes, kerbs etc.