Need manly advice...

13»

Comments

• blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Rachel

You have obviously got the bug but my advice would be to join a club and then work out over the next few months exactly what you want to do in cycling. I've no doubt that the bike you have will serve you well for a while yet without major changes, but don't get misled by the "experts" on this forum who are giving you advice without knowing what sort of riding you ultimately want to do. You don't need to upgrade at this time - in fact your bike is far better than the bikes I raced on up to 15 or so years ago.

My only piece of advice is to get a good track pump and make sure your tyres are well pumped up. Also, just enjoy the riding.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Took me a few secs to work out why he called u Rachel-

The internet really is amazing- you can find out way too much about people! :)

If you have £150 a fixed wheel might be a good investment, they're good fun (in a flat area) last forever, good as a winter bike, will improve your pedalling technique and they're nice and simple.
    Look for a decent 2nd hand one.

Failing a new bike- maybe get some bits and bobs you need- new clothes, arm warmers/knee warmer, maybe a posh gilet- these will make a bigger difference to your ride than the other things.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    I've got to use the fake tan, it's the only way I can lower my skin albedo to a point where it doesn't reflect sunlight :oops:

As for the wheel switching you are proposing, sounds a good interim measure. I'd love a Cyclo-Cross bike for use in winter, I just think they look the business with their knobbly 700c tyres - can't persuade myself to part with another £800 or so just yet though.

£800? Now's a good time to pick up one for about half that; should be quite a few of last season's machines on the S/H market before the new season starts.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Don't tempt me Dave :twisted:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    blackhands wrote:
    Rachel

You have obviously got the bug but my advice would be to join a club and then work out over the next few months exactly what you want to do in cycling. I've no doubt that the bike you have will serve you well for a while yet without major changes, but don't get misled by the "experts" on this forum who are giving you advice without knowing what sort of riding you ultimately want to do. You don't need to upgrade at this time - in fact your bike is far better than the bikes I raced on up to 15 or so years ago.

My only piece of advice is to get a good track pump and make sure your tyres are well pumped up. Also, just enjoy the riding.

Wise advice (if not terrily exciting!). Essentially I picked up all my tips from fellow clubmen and they are more likely to understand your riding and what you want (a good LBS is also worth finding). You'll be surprised in what diirections your interest may move once in to a good club. The advice on the trackpump is gold plated (better performance and saves effort too!)
  • jonesy124
    jonesy124 Posts: 205
    Thanks for all of your advice guys - i really appreciate it.

I am really excited about joining a club, i just want to make sure taht I am up to scratch first.

I have a track pump, it set me back about £30 (the nice guy in my LBS gave me a 10% discount because he knws that I am a poor student)

It seems to be a good one. I am always slightly worried about pumping them up too much. If the max tire pressure is 120 should i pump them to that or does some air come out when I remove the valve?
  • McBain_v1
    I'd pump tyres to within 10% of their max rated value just in case of duff manufacture.
    When you take the hose off, the air that is released is usually the air that was in the hose, rather than in the tyre.

It all depends on how hard you like your ride Jonesy124 :wink: :twisted:

(and having had a look at your website thingy, one can only speculate)

• jonesy124
    jonesy124 Posts: 205
    what is it about my website thingy that makes one speculate?
  • McBain_v1
    Umm, I don't really have the time to go into it in detail here cos I'm still at work, but will respond in full later (perhaps by PM) :)

• beckenham
    beckenham Posts: 242
    You've got me wonderign as well, and I can't view the website from work. I'll have to wait until I get home I guess :(
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    jonesy124 wrote:
    Along the way I will probably invest in some jazzy jerseys, a mud guard and some fake tan to keep my legs bronzed during the winter.

Winter clothing – wind jacket and tights, etc – makes riding in Nov–Feb a much more pleasant experience, plus they are essential if you ever go to the Alps or other big mountains where a rainy day even in mid-summer can be absolutely freezing cold. Good quality clothing will last years. e.g.:

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=21008
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=21602

Perhaps a forum poll? Would forumers prefer jonesy124 have:
    a) slightly better wheels or other componentry?
    b) sensible figure-hugging Goretex clothing?

McBain_v1 wrote:
    I've got to use the fake tan, it's the only way I can lower my skin albedo to a point where it doesn't reflect sunlight :oops:
    :idea: When applying fake tan one mustn't forget to use masking tape, to create a nice sharp authentic-looking cyclists' tan line effect on the upper arms & legs.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    jonesy124 wrote:
    Thanks for all of your advice guys - i really appreciate it.

I am really excited about joining a club, i just want to make sure taht I am up to scratch first.

I have a track pump, it set me back about £30 (the nice guy in my LBS gave me a 10% discount because he knws that I am a poor student)

It seems to be a good one. I am always slightly worried about pumping them up too much. If the max tire pressure is 120 should i pump them to that or does some air come out when I remove the valve?

As (I assuume) you are not a 16 stone lardarse like many on this forum you don't need quite so much pressure in your tyres - about 100psi is adequate - as long as the max pressure theey can take is that or greater.

And rest assure you are good enough to join a club.