help needed!! Gears for Mt Ventoux

AllTorque
AllTorque Posts: 31
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hi Guys,

I recently converted my bike to run a compact chainset (34-50) at the front with a 12-25 at the back. I was struggling up the steepest hills in the cotswolds (~250m) with this at the weekend, and am due to go to Provence in 2 weeks to try and grind my way up Mt Ventoux (a mere 1300m!!). Ideally I'd like a triple for this, but there's no way I can get hold of one, so.....

Is there any way I can stick a mountain bike rear cassette on the bike? Or alternatively, what's the biggest rear cassette I can get for the bike? Any help appreciated - i know nothing!!

Comments

• heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    I should think you'll be able to get a 28 on the back so a 11-28 should be a goer. I used that in the Alps with the same 34-50 on the front and it gives you a nice low gear thats noticeably easier that the 34-25. Always nice when you're struggling to realise you have one more gear to go and click it onto the 28. A nice relief. 8)
  • Sounds great my friend! Any idea where I can buy one from?
  • ps - I've got a 9 speed cassette - can I get an 11-28 for a 9speed?
  • Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke Posts: 402
    You running Campag or Shimano ??
    Luke
  • heavymental
    erm, I dunno. Your local bike shop (lbs) should probably have one. Otherwise have a look online. I'm on 8 speed but there should be a 9 speed with a 28 on it I'd have thought. Although I couldn't see one after a quick scan of Wiggle. You might have to make some phonecalls.
  • Lucky Luke wrote:
    You running Campag or Shimano ??

Shimano mate - it's looking like I might have to settle for a 12-27 I think. And some EPO...
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    12-28 are difficult to find. However, 12-27 are readily available.

Given that you may well need help fitting it your LBS is a good option...
    Rich
  • heavymental
    27 will still give you a nice spinning gear though.
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    I made Mt Ventoux quite comfortably with a 36 / 25 (although I was in bottom for quite a lot of the way) from Bedoin. Try and get some serious practice in before hand on hills (with a good hard ride three or four days before to tone up) and remember that the majority of Mt Ventoux is around 9% so is not actually that steep, just very long. Its all in the rhythm (so get a run in on the flat for a few miles). If you are doing it from Sault its is much less steep.

Oh, and pray for decent weather at the top!
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    I changed to an MTB cassette for the hills in Cornwall, the rear mech (ultegra shortcage) couldn't cope though, so I had to stick a Deore mech on at the same time. Shimano road mechs should all take a 27, some of them might take higher though, it's a bit pot luck on your mech and the angles of your bike.

Oddly I was going to ask a similar question about the Ventoux. Having gone over quite a few Alpine passes (Iseran, Izoard, Mont Cenis etc) in 39x26 I was wondering if the Ventoux needs something a bit lower than normal http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Co ... untainID=4 looks worrying!
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    If you can do Iseran or Izoard on 39x26 then you'll be ok on Ventoux with the same. There are only a couple of short sections with steeper than 10% bits.

I managed to get up it (and d'Huez) on 39x26 and that was when I was a little chubbier and less fit than I am now.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Ah, cheers, can stop worrying quite so much now. Had visions of grinding to a halt half way up or something.
  • Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke Posts: 402
    As Mossrider says for Ventoux you need to get into a good rythmn . I don't know if you plan on riding alone or with others but you need to climb at your own pace not other riders' . It's long and relentless so settle down and get into a rythmn that suits you .
    Luke
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Alltorque,

I used a triple but did not really have to use my bottom 2 gears on the Ventoux. Saying that I like to know that they are there if needed. 2nd the advice about getting in rythmn and I would advise getting into your bottom gear as soon as the going gets tough and then you can always go up a gear if you feel good.

Hope you have a good time and the climb itself is awesome.
    Brian B.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    You have to be patient on a long steady climb like the Ventoux, but once you get above the tree-line the view will inspire you.