new wheels - what a racket when freewheeling?

Lagavulin
Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Just installed my new wheels (DT Swiss 1850s).

Front is virtually inaudible but when freewheeling the rear sounds like a football rattle.

Is this normal at to begin with, something that's likely to remain, or is something perhaps wrong?

Comments

• Let me guess: Campy freehub? They're shocking loud, and stay that way, but I have to say I like knowing the pawls are doing their job! :)
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    No mate, its the Shimano version.

Its certainly different from the standard "click" my previous wheels have made.
  • Hmm, not sure then, at least without hearing it. Does it engage positively when transitioning from freewheeling to pedalling?
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Some hubs have noisy freehubs, and some don't. Whilst it's true that Campagnolo's own hubs are "clicky" and Shimano are generally silent, other freehubs vary according to make.
    Thus my Ultegra hubs are spookily silent, my Reynolds Alta-Race sound clickier than a really clicky thing.
    Whether you have a Shimano or a Campagnolo cassette makes no difference as the pawls are in the hub NOT the cassette.
    You can try adding extra grease to the pawls but this only works for a few miles so don't bother.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Just the way those DT hubs are. They are loudish with either freehub body :)

Some people pay extra to get Chris King hubs just for the noise...