Garmin Edge 305 CAD HR

lesdon499
lesdon499 Posts: 29
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Just forked out for this system for my new Trek Madone. Santa came early!!! Has anyone got experience of this computer? Particularly interested in whether you can plot routes real time that can then be used with the virtual trainer second time around. cheers

Comments

• overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Do a search for 'garmin edge'. There's a few threads that deal with it and have a good body of information.
    I have a Garmin edge 205 and have hardly explored the possibilities of it yet!
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    As overmars has said, do a couple of searches and there is a mine of information available. There is a website called Motionbased which has a forum dedicated to this topic.

However, there are 2 options available.
    Firstly, you can pre-plan your route using one of the many software applications that utilise Google Maps. I have experimented with a few and found www.bikeroutetoaster.co.uk to be one of the better ones. You can then download the route to your Garmin and it will give you directions.
    Alternatively, you can just start a ride and "record" the route taken. You can then upload it to Training Centre or one of the other packages to use at a later date.

Can't comment about the Virtual Partner feature as I haven't used it yet but I think it is basically as you described.

Again as overmars said, I haven't explored all of the features either!!

Hope this helps.

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • Thanx guys, will try the site and use the maps from that. Have any of you used it with memory maps and do you really need these?

cheers
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    You have to realise that the Edge is a training aid and NOT a GPS

It uses different files (History and Course) which are incompatible per se with Memory Map 2005, I cannot speak for the more up to date versions..

You can export a route from MM to the Edge, but cannot export tracks. Equally you cannot import from the Edge.

You have to import into the Garmin "Motion Based" web utility and then export as a .GPX file or similar which you can then import into MM. This will lose some of the utility of other true GPS systems. "Motion Based" will also export to Google Earth. (useful for saving trips)

Note worthy though is the fact that "Motion Based only allows you to access the last ten journeys unless you subscirbe!

What you need to do is export to Excel and use this as your record!

Don't get me wrong - its a nice little machine and fulfils its training task, but leaves a lot to be desired as a GPS!!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Lifeson
    Lifeson Posts: 327
    I have the same bike (Madonne 5.2) and the 305 and I think its the dogs danglies (both of them)
    Since I worked out how to create a course using toporoute or Bikeroutetoaster I find the Garmin a fantastic GPS system

When i go away in my caravan ( :oops: ) at weekends I plot a route I want to follow using toporoute or bikeroutetoaster which outputs the route as gpx and then convert it to a garmin crs file
    Then all you have to do is follow the line! simple
    If you use bikerouttoaster you even get the elevation shown for your route and you can use the virtual partner at a set speed plus you can edit the course points to add additional info - summit, sprint etc
    When you get used to it if you stray off course it will will show you how to get backon course
    The downside to this of cousre is that you need to plot where you are going before you go as the only thing it won't show is street level mapping
    "You must return here with a shrubbery, or else, you will never pass through this wood... alive."
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    lesdon499 wrote:
    Just forked out for this system for my new Trek Madone. Santa came early!!! Has anyone got experience of this computer? Particularly interested in whether you can plot routes real time that can then be used with the virtual trainer second time around. cheers

Yes you can, the unit records any route you're doing as you are doing it, which you then download to Garmin's own training centre and transfer it to the 'courses' folder give it a name and then send it back to the device and hey presto! your course appears on the unit. Then when you select that course and hit 'do course', the 2 little riders appear at the bottom of the screen and you're now 'racing' against yourself, if you're not actually on the course you want the unit will tell you how to get there and if you go 'off course' the unit will tell you and also guide you back 'on course' or it will even try and locate another course in it's memory that matches where you are. I've plotted all my time trials this year using the 305, so now every time I do a TT on one of these courses I 'race' my own best time.

p.s. You need to make sure that Virtual Partner is turned on for the above to work, from memory it's one of the unit's settings.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Lifeson
    Lifeson Posts: 327
    You can also create a "course" from any of your ides in history without using the PC

Go to "Training"
    Go To "Courses"
    Go to <Create New>

This lets you create a course from any of your rides held in your history
    "You must return here with a shrubbery, or else, you will never pass through this wood... alive."
  • Cunobelin wrote:
    It uses different files (History and Course) which are incompatible per se with Memory Map 2005, I cannot speak for the more up to date versions..

You can export a route from MM to the Edge, but cannot export tracks. Equally you cannot import from the Edge.

You have to import into the Garmin "Motion Based" web utility and then export as a .GPX file or similar which you can then import into MM. This will lose some of the utility of other true GPS systems. "Motion Based" will also export to Google Earth. (useful for saving trips)

You can do all of the above on MM v5 8)

Apart from the Rohloff on my mtb the Edge is the best bit of kit I've bought in ages.
    An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...
  • Cunobelin
    That is what annoys me most!

I have the full UK on Memory Map, (replaced on MM2002 and MM2004)

Now I am expected to spend another £300 and update again?

Whilst I can understand the maps not being updated due to OS copyright, there is no reason why file compatibility and inegration with new systems cannot.
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • I've been recording rides since I got my Garmin Edge 305 in June. Now I have just noticed that the first week or so of graphical data has been lost. The basic statistics are there, but the message says "no graph can be displayed" (or something like that).

It appears that this is a serious problem with some versions of Training Center, and some people have lost years of data which they cannot recover.

I can access my "lost" rides on MotionBased, but this is a paid service. Being cynical, is this one way for Garmin to force users to pay even more for their services?

Personally, I would recommend caution in purchasing any of the Garmin Edge/Forerunner family if you hope to keep a historical archive of your rides.
  • Check out the Garmin forum...

http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?board=55.0

PS I think If I were you I would have held on for the new colour screen 705...seems to be a far better GPS device...due out in early december Ithink
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    As-well as Training Centre I also use SportTracks to import by Garmin data. Find it much more user friendly and informative, oh and it's free......

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    dtanderson wrote:
    I've been recording rides since I got my Garmin Edge 305 in June. Now I have just noticed that the first week or so of graphical data has been lost. The basic statistics are there, but the message says "no graph can be displayed" (or something like that).

It appears that this is a serious problem with some versions of Training Center, and some people have lost years of data which they cannot recover.

I can access my "lost" rides on MotionBased, but this is a paid service. Being cynical, is this one way for Garmin to force users to pay even more for their services?

Personally, I would recommend caution in purchasing any of the Garmin Edge/Forerunner family if you hope to keep a historical archive of your rides.

It doesn't have an infinite memory, just download any files that you want to keep for a long time.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    dtanderson wrote:
    I've been recording rides since I got my Garmin Edge 305 in June. Now I have just noticed that the first week or so of graphical data has been lost. The basic statistics are there, but the message says "no graph can be displayed" (or something like that).

I take it you mean you're loosing the map data from the unit itself?

This is a 'feature' in that all the route data takes up quite a bit of memory and if you have a lot of stored routes the older stuff is deleted as you add newer routes. To archive this information you have to upload your runs to your computer where they are stored indefinitely.
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • It doesn't have an infinite memory, just download any files that you want to keep for a long time.

No - not the 305 memory. It's Garmin Training Centre that is losing the data.

I'll try out SportTracks - thanks for the link! :) My first impression looking at the site is that it seems full of features. Presumably data can be backed up without fear of losing it.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Yes - It creates a gpx file and stores all the data in that file, I just back up this file to a memory stick/other drive every few weeks...
  • Have been using the edge with bike rout toaster and gpsies.com all summer and it if absolutely brill! Have uploaded new routes and downloaded routes that Ive done. Now have a bank of all my favourite trips. Only thing is - when you head out on one with the virtual trainer on, no time for an easy ride, you just wanna burst it! Thanks for those who posted a reply. :lol:
  • Cunobelin wrote:

erm yes it is..it may not a have a nice map screen but it works fine if ur doing a ride from a saved/imported route its np to tell where ur turns r.

Chris5150 its all very well to w8 for the new 705 with color screen but for the price and the predicted reduced battery life im going to stick with my 205 :)
    Good Luck and Be Fecund
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Cunobelin wrote:
    I disagree.
    Chris5150 its all very well to w8 for the new 705 with color screen but for the price and the predicted reduced battery life im going to stick with my 205 :)
    Battery life is supposed to be longer. Which is good. I didn't take my 205 on the Etape as it wasn't going to make it to the end even if I did.
    Rich
  • Yes I must admit I would find it quite strange if the 705's battery life was less than the 205/305....generally battery life is advancing all the time, and I cannot see Garmin bringing out an updated product with lower battery life
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    Hi,

Could someone give me a quick summary of how they create courses and add them to the unit (Edge 205).

I've tried:

1) Google Maps then GMapToGPX to produce the route, then GPSBabel to copy to the unit.This gets to the unit, but only navigates to the first point on the map

2) BikeRouteToaster & TopoRoute to produce the route, but then GPSBabel can't copy to the unit - "Unknown Track Protocol"

thanks
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    kmahony wrote:
    Could someone give me a quick summary of how they create courses and add them to the unit (Edge 205).
    I would reconmmend Tracklogs.

This can be purchased from £9.95 and offers seamless creation of routes and transfer to Edge and you use just one package not three (Google Maps > GMapToGPX > GPSBabel).
    Rich
  • Cunobelin
    Motion based is only a "trial"you cannot access anything after your last ten journets without paying for the full version.

I gave up with it as A difficult programme touse and no real benefit
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cunobelin wrote:
    Motion based is only a "trial"you cannot access anything after your last ten journets without paying for the full version.

I gave up with it as A difficult programme touse and no real benefit

Motion Based has been bought by Garmin and will be re-branded as Garmin Connect by the end of the year. It will be free for all users but will retain a subscription service for the most advanced features.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    lesdon499 wrote:
    I have one, but others said be careful of loosing data, the unit is a pain.
    I had all my data on pc but you should also back that up because one day I connected Garmin to PC and it wiped all my saved routes for last year !!! Apparently a known problem.
    Another known problem is after a few weeks they canb start to "turn off" mid ride. This happened to mine and as I bought it off ebay Garmin said it is not coverred under warranty !!!! So if you have a receipt, keep it safe as Garmin support is crap.