Bike choice

andyuk1974
andyuk1974 Posts: 21
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hi all

Im on the market for a new bike, havent ridden one for 3 years and that was a trek mtb. I am entered into the London Marathon next year and im looking to build fitness by getting out on the roads, i looking at either a flat bar orad bike or a normal road bike. Im 5ft7ins weigh 15st 12 and am looking for advis=ce on which would be better and i have a budget of £400 to spend.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    There's not much choice for under £400. You can get halfords road bikes for less than that - I've got one. It suits me for commuting and longer weekend rides. Just have a look on wiggle and evans cycles websites at the cheaper bikes you can get, and have a look in your local shop.

Always choose drops over flat bars, most people prefer them, even I do as a newbie to road cycling.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Grimsay
    Grimsay Posts: 11
    You could also try Tredz. I just got a 2006 Giant SCR 2 down from £525 - £420 from them, its lovely little number.
  • 220 Triathlon mag (last issue but one) reviewed the Dawes Giro 300 and the Claud Butler San Remo (both easily in budget) and gave both a thumbs up in terms of cheap but decent road bikes for newbies. Tredz.co.uk can help there.
  • You'll get an 06 Trek 1000 for that if you look:

http://www.watfordbikes.com/offersheet/offers.pdf

Think you would need a 52cm though. Added advantage of mounts for guards and a rack.

http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dep ... pt_id=1206

Lemond Etape 51cm, Gt Series 5, Ridgeback Genesis 5 all around your price and have carbon forks and Sora equipped.

The world is your oyster.

PS Don't go near Halfords unless you are okay with setting up the bike yourself, they rarely know what they are doing. Good value though!
  • Cotic Roadrat, may be a little outside your budget as a full bike but may be worth a look.
  • sie1uk
    sie1uk Posts: 22
    Carrera Vanquish with Tiqagra setup £399 from Halfords
  • inchcape
    inchcape Posts: 38
    www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk have the giant SCR 3.0 2006/07 for £350.
  • bianco
    bianco Posts: 78
    Get to decathlon if theres one near you, some seriously cheap decent cycles there(and some seriously bad ones)
  • Steveaps
    Steveaps Posts: 36
    SCR 3.0 great bike good value
    Steveaps