Handlebar bags?

Chris Bcp
Chris Bcp Posts: 139
edited August 2007 in Tour & expedition
I've got rear panniers for the tent and stuff but last time missed having somewhere to put the camera, wallet etc.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• The market is quite big. Browse Wiggles and Evanscycles to get a better feel. Are your panniers a 'known' brand? Do they do a suitable bar bag to match?

sorry - meant to say that somebody with far more (relevant) experience than me would be along later to post their views.
  • zenzinnia
    zenzinnia Posts: 698
    They're all pretty much of a muchness and in the end it depends what you are after. Things to look out for:
    Make sure it's got a good quick release.
    Will it fit on your bars along with all the other stuff (computer, light, airzound) or do you need some bextra bar (some have a little bar that attaches underneath for lights)
    Do you want a map holder - is it detachable - does it fit the maps you use
    I like to have mesh side pockets but others don't
    Look out for dividers, inside pockets, lid pockets etc to divide stuff up - lid pockets are good for banans!
    Check on padding for cameras
    Then just pick the size you think you'll need - don't go too big as the weight can effect steering - if you want to fit even more stuff onthe bike get front panniers instead.
    To err is human,
    but to really screw things up you need a shimano - campag mixed drivechain.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Baggy shorts and a backpack.

get a peak for your helmet while you're at it :wink:
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    Altura bar bag with Klick Fix. Decent one from about £30.

If you can spend more, go for Carradice. Slightly better made, and BRITISH.
  • gpx001
    gpx001 Posts: 107
    I picked up a very basic Cannondale handlebar bag a couple of years ago out of a bargain bin and have found it a really useful bit of kit. As has been said great for storing essentials like cash, keys, snacks, etc. A map holder would have also been useful, but hey you can't have everything for a fiver! :wink:

Jas
    Fuelled by rage - I would rather it be by flapjack
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I use a digital SLR and wanted something padded and waterproof. I use an Ortleib Ultimate with camera insert - it has been absolutely brilliant
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Chris Bcp
    Chris Bcp Posts: 139
    Thanks for all that.
  • I've got a waterproof Vau de barbag, and while it's got a simple 'klick fix' fitting and capacity's ideal, the closure system is not good at all - two velcro pads - which can often come unloose particularly if toruing off road.
    I solve the problem by wrapping the strap fully round, but with a better closure it would be almost perfect.
  • I've got a waterproof Vau de barbag, and while it's got a simple 'klick fix' fitting and capacity's ideal, the closure system is not good at all - two velcro pads - .

sopunds very much like the £5 bag I bought from LIDL a couple of months ago - klickfix, easy to use, just enough capacity, bounces open at the drop of a bump.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Klickfix is great, don't even consider a bar bag without it. I have an old model Carradice Overlander which appears very like the current Super C. Only real annoyance is the way the top straps cover the map holder.
  • I used an Altura Orkney.
    Good points:
    - it's big (7 litres)
    - KlickFix
    - flip-over insert with pockets in it
    - detachable pocket on the front which you can use as a bumbag

Bad points:
    - too big, really - I kept essential stuff in there and so detached and carried it religiously whenever I left the bike even for a short time.
    - the top fastens with Velcro. A zip would be better (or more Velcro), since it started flipping open on bouncy roads
    - (the really bad point) - after a particularly bouncy day, I noticed I'd lost one of the screws securing the KlickFix fastening to the bag, and another was very loose. If a fastening isn't supposed to be adjustable, I don't see why you have to look further than large-headed rivets. Also, when I tried tightening the loose one, I found the tappings were plastic/nylon. When I'm setting off on a bumpy ride, I like the confidence of hanging my weight off an Allen key to make sure everything is as tight as possible. This isn't possible if the screw slips when you get it almost tight. The same was true of the screw-holes holding the bracket to the handlebar. For something that cost around fifty quid, this was pretty poor.
    On balance (and especially given the price) I don't recommend this bag for serious touring (though if you ignore this advice, I've got one going cheap!)
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    Does the Ortlieb bag use an actual Klick-Fix bracket - or another one?

I just wonder if I'd be able to use my current bracket.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom