HELP - Placed Deposit on Specialized Roubaix Comp 2008

ZeroK66
ZeroK66 Posts: 24
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Morning guys,

Well I have finally committed to a bike.

I posted here a while ago:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

After a carbon road bike for bike to work. I went into Evans yesterday and settled for the latest from Specialized - the Roubaix Comp 2008

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86024
Z2130A_BIG.jpg

* Frame: Specialized FACT 6r carbon triple monocoque construction compact design with Zertz inserts
* Fork: Specialized FACT monocoque carbon fork
* Gears: Shimano 105 front with Shimano Ultegra rear derailleur
* Shifters: Shimano 105
* Chainset: Shimano R600 Hollowtech II crankset with 50/34 Tooth Chainrings
* Brakes: Shimano 105
* Wheels: Shimano RS-10 Wheelset
* Tyres: Specialized Roubaix Pro
* Handlebar: Specialized Zertz Comp 6061 alloy
* Stem: Specialized Pro-Set lightweight stem
* Saddle: Specialized Toupe Gel
* Seatpost: Specialized Pave FACT carbon 27.2mm
* Pedals/Extras: Composite Body test ride Pedals

I actually started this post to ask if I had done the right thing and if anyone had any information on the Roubaix 2008... looking back at the post I did I see many people commented on the Roubaix saying it is a great comfortable bike - so I think I may have answered my own question then.

This leads me on into my next questions... I will be looking at accessories now, things I will be looking for is speedo, shoes & pedals, tube, bag etc etc - what is recommended out there? Perhaps spell out your ideal (not silly expensive) kit list for me to work from? :)

Thanks guys, the forum has been a great help so far.

Cheers,
Audi S4 503HP... sadly no bike just yet - HELP!

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    ZeroK66 wrote:
    ...This leads me on into my next questions... I will be looking at accessories now, things I will be looking for is speedo, shoes & pedals, tube, bag etc etc - what is recommended out there? Perhaps spell out your ideal (not silly expensive) kit list for me to work from? :)

Thanks guys, the forum has been a great help so far.

Cheers,

Speedos? You'd be better with lycra shorts or bib shorts than speedos. They seem more suited to swimming :oops:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • ZeroK66
    Lol... you know I knew someone was going to say that!!

I was of course referring to "bike computers" :)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i use the blackburn delphi 4.0 which is a superb cycle computer, not too expensive but for what it does i believe its quite cheap...
    saddle bag - go into evans and choose one that is big enough for the stuff you want to carry a quick release is useful but not essential i recommend this one: CLICKY. I have the small/mini one and i think it is just too small for my needs but can't be arsed to buy a new one...
    shoes and pedals will depend on whether you want full road shoes/pedals or can make do with mtb shoes and recessed cleats making walkin easier. i personally have these SHOES
    and i use SPD pedals they are good for beginners as they are double sided and the tension can easily be adapted.

that little lot cost me £80 for shoes and pedals, £10 for bag, £25 for computer.

Also consider getting a pair of race blade mud guards, mine got delivered this morning and i just fitted them. Nice and easy. Off ebay only £20 (£40 in the shops!)
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    ZeroK66 wrote:
    Perhaps spell out your ideal (not silly expensive) kit list for me to work from?
    Helmet (?)
    Bibshorts
    Cycle Jersey
    Waterproof Jacket
    Gillet
    Polar CS200cad
    Bontrager Bottle Race Lite Cages x2
    SIS 800ml Bottles x2
    Pump (Bike)
    Track Pump
    Saddle Bag
    Spare Tubes x2
    Park Tyre Levers
    Park Glueless Patch Kit
    Park Tyre Boot
    Innovations Air Chuck SL & CO2 Cartridge
    Multitool (smallest with chaintool)
    SRAM Quicklink

Should get you going for now...
    Rich
  • Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke Posts: 402
    I think a lock should be near the top of your list too .
    Luke
  • ZeroK66
    Great thanks guys...

Any comments on the bike itself? Am I onto a winner... guess it is early days yet as no one would have tested/reviewed the 2008?
  • yinya
    yinya Posts: 21
    2008 roubaix is supposed to be the same as 2007. Or maybe it was just the S-Works ones. Tarmac is new for 2008.
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    2008 roubaix has ultegra rear mech vs 105 0n 2007
    toupe saddle vs avatar
    shimano wheels vs open pros
    i love my 2007 and would welcome the 2008 rear mech and saddle, don't think the wheels would be my choice though,
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • andy66
    andy66 Posts: 20
    Still loving my 2007.Did 20 miles first thing this morning and felt great - my mate who has a Cannondale says he sometimes has some wrist pain after 20+ miles but I find the Roubaix perfect for fast road riding (at least fast for me!) Saw 32mph this morning too as I overtook a tractor so it's no slouch!

Great decision on your order I'd say.

Andy
  • ZeroK66
    Great thanks guys. I cycled into work this morning, felt quite strange, almost too upright/my seat was niot high enough. I will try raise it and see how it goes.

It is quick and so far quite comfy, just get a little pain in my hand when braking, guess my hands have to get used to using the brakes again.

Thanks for all your help. I am going to trawl through all the product reviews on the site now and cherry pick all the items I need to buy - make one BIIIIG shopping list, and get cracking!

I am finally back into cycling, about time. Lets hope I keep at it and make the most of my machine.

Cheers,