Tracker for bike?

xover_runner
xover_runner Posts: 228
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
I'm going to hand over in excess of 3 grand for a new bike this weekend. Someone at work said are you going to put a tracker in it. Got me thinking, I've never heard fo this for bikes. Anyone know if this can be done?

Comments

• owaingibby
    owaingibby Posts: 240
    I know you can get trackers for motorbikes, which emit a VHF radio signal, but not sure for bicycles, would you need a power source for it? also what about it's size?

Not much help am I really!
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    See this thread (around 5 or 6 posts down).

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12537874
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    It is possible to register the frame number of your bike (as well as serial numbers of other valuable household possesions) and its description on a police-supported database:

https://www.immobilise.com/

Immobilise is the only ownership registration service supported by all the UK Police forces, and the mobile phone industry for the registration of mobile phones. It is also supported by the Metropolitan Police, GLA and TFL for the registration of bicycles.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Hm, every one of these things claims to be police-supported. Do they actually use it? Cna any coppers on-forum comment?
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • The only thing I can think of that would give you actual tracking would be to put the insides of a small phone connected to a gps receiver inside the saddle. You'd probably need a small hub dynamo to supply the power, and a bit of homebrew J2ME software running on the phone.

It's all stuff that would be within the means of a determined amateur, but I'm guessing that on £3000 worth of bike you probably don't want a dynamo fitted ;-)

Having said that, some phones can last up to a week on batteries alone, so I guess if you're prepared to do regular recharging...
  • Out of interest, on a £3000 bike, how much would you expect to pay for a GPS tracking system?
  • What about the Datatag that you put on motorbikes? Okay, you won't know where it is at all times, but if it gets recovered after being stolen, you might get it back.

EDIT: There's a section on cycles at Datatag's website - check it out at http://www.datatag.co.uk/
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    I had a couple of bikes Datatagged but since the tagging scene has proliferated, I'm now less keen to recommend them - there needs to be a standard. Even if there are a dozen companies working it, they need to work so that every cop shop has the scanner - with one standard that's easy, with a dozen you can be you'll fall through the gaps.
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.