Plagued by punctures

2»

Comments

• I had my first puncture while commuting yesterday. (I've been commuting by bike for about a month) Luckily I was well stocked with innertubes. However, the puncture did surprise me - it was on the inside of the tube and was a split at the edge of the hard rubber bit that goes around the base of the valve.

I noticed once I'd taken the tube out that it was actually missing the bolt that you normally tighten down onto the hub that holds the valve still. My guess is that it had gotten wobbled around too much when the tyre was being pumped up, which weakened the rubber and finally blew out yesterday evening.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    That shouldn't happen. The tube, unless it was a very old one, must have been defective. Take it back to the shop and ask them to replace it.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    I'd replace the rim tape. I used to have this and replaced the rim tape and that sorted out the problem. The rim tape was fine but there was a very small gap between the the edge of the tape and the spoke hole so I kept getting pinch flats.
  • Thing is, there's no spoke directly over where the puncture was!