Helmet recommendations

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,870
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hello all,

I currently own a Specialized Aurora helmet, which I mainly bought for commuting and mountain biking, alas at present it is in storage, and I have done a few road rides on my beautiful new (ebay) Felt, but am thinking I should really invest in an additional helmet, and may as well make it a reasonable one.

From the last time I was looking, Giro and Bell don't seem to fit me too well, but I wondered if anyone had any specific road helmet recommendations from personal experience - I imagine lightness and the cooling factor has to be high up the list.

I also don't really get on with the dials at the back to tighten it up, much prefer the button option - if that makes sense...

Cheers

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• sonicred007
    sonicred007 Posts: 1,091
    Giro Atmos - loving mine
  • Ive never really gone wrong with Met. My current helmet is a few years old now though, so I'll probably be having your problem come the season end.
  • Markta
    Markta Posts: 767
    Another for Giro Atmos. Very light and vents superbly.
  • sonicred007
    sonicred007 Posts: 1,091
    Markta wrote:
    Another for Giro Atmos. Very light and vents superbly.

That's why I'm loving mine... had a £40 giro mountain bike lid before, and hadn't realised how stifling it was until I treated myself to the Atmos
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    I currently have a Met. I might be looking at a Specialized as a replacement.

Go with what feels good - as sometimes you've gotta wear them for some time. Then what you like the look of. Then what's on special! :P
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Was you Specialized Aurora helmet comfortable?

How about a Specialized Decibel?
    Rich
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I have a Bell Sweep-R, and get along fine with it (if that helps)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The advantage of Specialized helmets is that they are one of the few brands sold in the UK that are Snell rated, which is a higher standard than the European standards common to almost all other brands (see this). Note that the Spesh helmets sold in the UK only carry the more usual EN1078 sticker, but they are Snell rated. So (notwithstanding the controversies about helmet use / safety), if you want the best possible protection, get another Specialized.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    RichA wrote:
    Was you Specialized Aurora helmet comfortable?

How about a Specialized Decibel?

Thanks for the replies everyone, the Atmos in black is looking the favourite at the mo, and for £63.99 from wiggle looks good value (With 20% discount)

The aurora is comfortable, and seemingly very light, but am hoping another helmet will give even better ventilation.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Consider a Met Inferno. I find them very good. I haven't 'tested' it though, I'm glad to say :lol:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business