Long hills in the west mids area

polkadot
polkadot Posts: 3
Anyone know of any decent length hills in the west mids area? I'm doing the cat and fiddle challenge in October and could do with something fairly long to train on, without actually riding the cat and fiddle itself.

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Where exactly are you? There aren't many options but the best you could do would be to head for the Cotswolds, or out west or southwest of B'ham. There are some steep climbs up to the Cotswolds round Broadway and Winchcombe (Saintbury, Sunrising, Edge Hill). West of Birmingham you can find some nasties along the Severn valley - round Highley and Bewdley, that kind of area. Or down round Tenbury Wells area there are climbs like Clee Hill, Angel Bank, Stanford Bank, Ankerdine.

My club has some hill-climb nutters who delight in finding the most hills possible while never straying more than about 10 miles from the starting point........... I could try to find out their routes if that would help? I know one ride was based on Knightwick (west of Worcester) and the other was based on Romsley, near Halesowen. If either of these would be any use let me know.
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    You're just an hour from the Peak District. Get off up there and try Middleton Top or the Via Gellia.
  • I always found the climb up Rose Hill - just out past Longbridge - quite hard. Try riding from the Birmingham side over the M-way junction and then back to the Birmingham side. Repeat until in agony...
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    The area round Clee and Bridgnorth is plenty hilly - I went on a ride with a mate round there and the route was as tough as we normally do round Derbyshire.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Lifeson
    Lifeson Posts: 327
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Where exactly are you? There aren't many options but the best you could do would be to head for the Cotswolds, or out west or southwest of B'ham. There are some steep climbs up to the Cotswolds round Broadway and Winchcombe (Saintbury, Sunrising, Edge Hill). West of Birmingham you can find some nasties along the Severn valley - round Highley and Bewdley, that kind of area. Or down round Tenbury Wells area there are climbs like Clee Hill, Angel Bank, Stanford Bank, Ankerdine.

My club has some hill-climb nutters who delight in finding the most hills possible while never straying more than about 10 miles from the starting point........... I could try to find out their routes if that would help? I know one ride was based on Knightwick (west of Worcester) and the other was based on Romsley, near Halesowen. If either of these would be any use let me know.

Thats my favourite hill stomping ground
    I have a route that takes in the 3 biggest climbs in the area, Romsley Hill, Mucklow Hill and Portway Hill via Rowley Regis Ther are plenty of other hills around the area that you could add in (Furnace Hill, Doulton Road, City road) that whilst not long are quite steep in sections
    "You must return here with a shrubbery, or else, you will never pass through this wood... alive."