Relationship between Wheels and Tyres???

fidbod
fidbod Posts: 317
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
This is a subject I struggle to understand at all and if anyone has time to explain a little, I would appreciate it greatly.

I think the 37/35/23 etc refers to the tyres thickness and 700 or 622 to the tyres volume but I cannot relate these to rims and what tyres go on which rims

I have been commuting on a hybrid for three months and doing 40+ mile rides at the weekend and I am ready for a road bike. I am thinking of buying a cyclocross bike as it looks like great fun and I think the more durable frame would be better for me as I weigh 96kg.

I am looking at the focus mares which come equipped with 622 * 35 tyres. so my questions are

1 - is it feasible to have a second pair of wheels set up with road race tyres and matching cassette so I can hot swap the wheels depending on activity

2 - could i run cyclocross and road tyres on the same wheels, it would be much slower to change but cheaper.

Any insights greatly appreciated

Comments

• Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    As usual, Sheldon has the answer:-

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Read and be enlightened (and don't forget to read the rest of the site).
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • grimmison
    grimmison Posts: 62
    You shouldn't have any problem putting some thinner road tyres 23/25*700 on the Mare's standard wheels.

The difference between the various tyre measurements is described here -
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3802
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    In answer to question 1, there is the issues of cassette and chain wear. Chains and cassettes wear together and if you put a new chain on an oldish/old cassette you'll normally find a fair bit of jumping around and it won't be much fun.

in all honesty you should have a cassette and a chain for each wheel, or just move cassette from one wheel to the other, leaving the chain on the bike (this is what I do). Not hard if you buy the tools!
  • I know this is an old posting, but did you get the Mares Cross in the end ?

I'm looking at doing the same thing with road tyres alternating with the cross ones, and want the roadies to be thin.

If you did get one and swap the wheels/ tyres then let me know.

ta