Campag QS Compatibility

PaulJHart
PaulJHart Posts: 33
edited August 2007 in Workshop
I'm chaning my old (2005) campag xenon 9sp shifters to work with a compact and need a new front mech but the only one I can find at a reasonable price is a 10sp Mirage QS. I've been told that 9 or 10sp wont make a difference with a front mech but what is QS and will a QS front mech work okay with normal shifters? many thanks for any advice

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    From Parkers
    "The new Mirage™ front derailleurs have a longer front link to offer even lighter shifting thanks to the more favourable joint. They interface with the Ergopower™ Quick-Shift™ controls"

Phone Parkers for advice as to whether QS mech compatible with no QS levers
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Older Ergo levers don't index the left side, so I would imagine it would work fine. Some people use Shimano mechs with Campagnolo levers...
    I did find this Xenon 9 mech though
    http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... ts_id=7898
    I bet your LBS could get one if they are plugged in :)
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    In a month or two's time Campag's new front mechs will be out and will be compatible with both standard and compact cranks in the one mech.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Fantastic replies all - thanks for the help.
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I moved from a 39/53 Xenon chainset to a compact 34/50 Veloce a couple of weeks ago. I haven't changed the front mechanism and am not having any problems. I am aware that Campagnolo recommend a different mech but mine is working fine without.

Gav.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • Gav2000 wrote:
    I moved from a 39/53 Xenon chainset to a compact 34/50 Veloce a couple of weeks ago. I haven't changed the front mechanism and am not having any problems. I am aware that Campagnolo recommend a different mech but mine is working fine without.

Gav.
    Gav
    Thanks for the info - I'm trying to do this on the cheap so I'll give the old mech a go first.
    cheers
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    PaulJHart wrote:
    Gav
    Thanks for the info - I'm trying to do this on the cheap so I'll give the old mech a go first.
    cheers

You will need to shorten the chain when you go to the smaller chainset. I had a Campag chain with no joining link, if you have the same then get an SRAM Powerlink prior to making the change as they make rejoining the chain a doddle. I tried rejoining the chain without the link and struggled to get the rivet back in as neatly as I wanted.

Gav.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.