A pothole, C02 and bullet proof tyers

MrKawamura
MrKawamura Posts: 192
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
...one pothole in particular which won the fight it started this morning. I've hit them before without damage, but this was a vicious little ****** and because I hadn't seen it, my full weight was on the rear wheel.

I decided it was time to try out my CO2 inflator for the first time, so I put in the new tube I was carrying and screwed in the CO2 cartridge only to find that the valve was too short for the inflator to work. I then noticed the slight buckle in the wheel.

I want to ask the LBS to fix the wheel - it's a cheap Jalco (stock Allez 07), but I've done a few hundred miles with no other problems, so I'd rather keep these than spend money on new stronger ones if possible.

I would like to get some fast, slick 23c puncture resistant tyers. I don't know if they would offer much protection from the kind of pothole I met today (?), but I'm fed up with punctures from nails and glass anyway. Can I get something decent for £25 each?

Thanks for reading and replies.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Specialized Armadillos...............bullet proof.
  • I've come across that age old problem of the Campag wheel owner : Which tyres fit them? I love Conti 4000s but they're an absolute **** to fit to Campags.
    Any suggestions?
    RichC
  • MrKawamura
    Thanks, I'll probably try those.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Thumb workouts. :)
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    new wheels dont have to cost the earth.

I got a set of Quest Como wheels, new cassette and a pair of conti ultragatorskins all in for just over £100.

The wheels arnt the lightest in the world but they are really really strong and for me who rides 50/50 commuting and social type rides they are perfect.

the wheels alone are only £59 for shimano and £69 for campag.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    I've come across that age old problem of the Campag wheel owner : Which tyres fit them? I love Conti 4000s but they're an absolute **** to fit to Campags.
    Any suggestions?
    RichC
    Try a "VAR tool" - light and small enough to carry with you - reduced 7 days of struggling to get a set of Contis on, to less than 7 minutes!
    I gather the GP4000 S tyres are much easier to fit - perhaps Conti listened to their customers! (I too have Campag. rims, by the way, but actually had the trouble fitting the Contis to some old Weinmann rims).

I ride Conti GP4000 25c with reflective sidewalls on the winter trainer - great tyres.

Of course, they're a bit chalk and cheese - the "don't buy them they're terrible" brigade will be a long shortly!

Ensure you fit them with the correct rotation - there have been posts regarding bad handling when fitting them the wrong way round!

If you fit the labels adjacent to the valve, you'll be able to locate puncture debris on the inner tube that bit easier..... or the other one is to locate the pressure rating next to valve.

Condor have a good stock of various Contis.... if you're in London.
    I have found the 4000S (only available in 23c) to be much faster/stickier - though this could be down to the bike on which they are fitted.
  • floatman
    floatman Posts: 28
    what is a "VAR" tool?
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    I wouldn't think that bombproof tyres would totally stop snakebite punct*res..

Hitting a pothole would still pinch the tube.

But I may be mistaken

george
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    jibi wrote:
    I wouldn't think that bombproof tyres would totally stop snakebite punct*res..
    True, but the Spec Armadillos have a thick and fairly rigid casing which means that they are pretty hard to pinch flat on. The downside however is in my experience reduced grip and harsher ride....................but you can't have your cake and eat it!
  • Mr P
    Mr P Posts: 548
    VAR Tool - helps lever the bead over the rim....
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0-VA ... er-903.htm
  • MrKawamura
    I bought an Armadillo. If I stop getting flats, I'll live with the downsides.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Spesh Armadillos here. Mine done 3000 miles with no punctures. The back tyre was looking a little worn so I changed it before the dreaded flat reared its head a couple of weeks ago and I will be happy if I get another 3000 miles of its replacement.

I can't comment on the handling issues from a comparison point of view as I have never used any other type of tyre (if it aint broken don't fix attitude here) but what I can say is that in the wet I can achieve times which are very, very close to those in dry. Take corners slightly slower and break a little earlier other than that basically carry on as normal and that's riding with flat pedals ie not clipped in - that's another issue altoghether :oops:
  • da da da
    da da da Posts: 387
    bontrager hardcase, like all puncture'proof' not light, but i got 5000 autumn/winter miles including inner city commuting without a problem