help choosing a bike

Mikey joe
Mikey joe Posts: 66
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hello

I initially posted this in the gear section but htought it might be more appropriate in here.

I am in the market for a new bike and as a relative beginner I'm looking for some advice. I am currently the owner of a Specialized Allez Triple. It is being replaced soon. My initial thought was to get a 2008 Allez as I had no problems with the first one. However - I realised I should put a bit more thought into this rather than just getting the same again.

With this in mind I would appreciate some advice on what I should look for in choosing a new bike. I have around £500 to spend. I'm six foot and use my bike for both commuting and also some longer distance jaunts at the weekends in the region of 60 - 80 miles with a couple of longer (upto 130 miles) trips a year.

I am not a competitive cyclist and not particularly experieced. So should I stay with the good old Specialized or look at something like a Trek or Bianchi??

Thank you for reading this

Mj

Comments

• pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    The Allez has a good name, and some would say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". On the other hand this is a great excuse to go round test riding a few of the competitors. You might find you like one of the others better after all.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Why change what you have?

Just get the groupset upgraded.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    what's wrong with what you have?
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • Hi

thanks for the replies.

I'm happy with the Allez however its been crashed and written off - so as I'm getting a new bike I thought I'd open my eyes and rather than simply plump for the same just see if there is anything else worth looking at.
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    If my Allez got totalled I'd probably get another. I'd want a replacement bike as soon as possible, and I'd know I could order the Allez straight away without worrying about whether it would fit well etc - I could look at mail order/internet for better prices, not needing to try the bike first.

This time of year could be a good time to get a deal on a 2007 Allez Sport, have you had a look around?
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I got my 2007 Allez Sport Triple for £599 :lol:

If it got totalled or stolen :evil:

I'd get another
    Richard

Giving it Large