Map of the classic TDF climbs?

Fab Foodie
Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
edited August 2007 in Tour & expedition
Anyone know of a map which shows the major TDF climbs in the Alps and Pyranees?

Staying in Perpignan area with family this summer...planning to do Ventoux (3 hour drive away), but have no idea where the other classic climbs are?

Anyone know?
Any maps available showing them?
What's nearby?

Cheers, FF->.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
Fab's TCR1

Comments

• john ponting
    john ponting Posts: 491
    www.letour.fr should still be showing the full maps of each days stage.
  • Hi FF, depending on how energetic you will be feeling I think that there are two climbs that are iconic in Tour history: the Col du Tourmalet in the Pyrenees and of course Alpe d'Huez in the Alps. I have got Michelin France road atlas 1:200 000 (1cm = 2km) that has them both marked, but they are I'm afraid both a fair way from where you are staying.
    Maybe the best thing to do would be to make a list of some of the climbs that have featured over the years and spend a bit of time researching how close to each one you will be. Then use that as your guide.
    Sorry, that's the best I've got.
    Cheers and good luck.
    Johnny
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    Michelin "Local" 1/150,000 maps are the best for cycling in France and cost about 4€50

They can be bought from good Tabacs which should have a full range of them.

No 332 Drome / Vaucluse will cover Mont Ventoux

No 333 Isere / Savoie will cover Alpe d'Huez, The Glandon, the Croix de Fer, the Galibier and most of the classic cols to the north of the Marienne valley.

No 342 Hautes Pyrenees and No 343 Ariege / Haute Garonne will cover all the classics in the Pyrenees.

Have fun!
  • chill888
    chill888 Posts: 66
    See Link for alps cycling climbs with GPS routes and elevation charts

http://will-davies.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104&Itemid=137
  • Just a thought - I was in Perpignan this year too & took a spin out towards Col de Jau which is a lovely climb just outside Prades, which is only 70km away from Perpignan. From there you can go west and into the tougher climbs

Don't be fooled into thinking that the only climbs worth doing are the most famous ones. I have done most of the famous ones in France and some of the most enjoyable have been the less well known. NOt saying the Galibier & tourmalet aren't brilliant - there is just a huge amount to choose from.
    Enjoy :idea: