cracked specialized enduro chainstays

GALAFUNK
GALAFUNK Posts: 6
edited October 2007 in MTB general
no prizes for guessing what i've found on the bottom left chainstay.......a big nasty crack right along the weld. its going back to the dealers tommorrow for "evaluation" to see if the warrenty covers it.
Has anyone else had or heard of any similar problems?

Comments

• russ0228
    russ0228 Posts: 228
    either way you should be fine for a new frame so long as you are the original owner and you have the receipt of purchase. spesh are legendary for their back up. the only way they will not sort you out is if it's clear you have been thrashing the hell out the frame. i wouldn't worry to much about it you are in safe hands with spesh.
    internet (in ter net), secret sanctuary of idiots and nutters.
  • hewison
    hewison Posts: 49
    I heard it was a problem on the 06 enduro sx trail and there's now a extra plate on the 07 so specialized are aware there was a problem with some of them. I don't think you'll have any problems getting a new one.
  • russ0228
    hewison wrote:
    I heard it was a problem on the 06 enduro sx trail and there's now a extra plate on the 07 so specialized are aware there was a problem with some of them. I don't think you'll have any problems getting a new one.

no offense mate but thats how nasty rumours get started. i speak to spesh uk once/twice a month and i have yet to here what you hear. you must have a boffin tucked in the corner of apesh that i have never seen of heard of then you might be speaking out your backside. there are far to many people on forums who state they heard this or that. i have yet to send an enduro back for a crack on a chainstay
  • Am i right in saying that the enduro is the lighter version of the SX trial?
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    the 2006 Enduro and 2006 SX Trail were basically the same frame in terms of the tubeset, forgings and frame fixings

the differences were that the SX Trail had a more relaxed head / seat angle, a longer stroke shock and different shock shuttle to give 170mm rear travel

the complete Enduro and SX Trail bikes had a different parts specification to reflect the difference in the intended use (Enduro - All Mountain, SX Trail- Freeride Lite)

it was felt that there was not enough of a difference between the 2 models, as both were pretty heavy (although the SX Trail was well within the ball park weight for the style of bike it was)

For the 2007 Enduro range Specialized developed their own new frame, fork and shock package to reduce weight and increase All-Mountain performance
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • rob cole wrote:
    the 2006 Enduro and 2006 SX Trail were basically the same frame in terms of the tubeset, forgings and frame fixings

the differences were that the SX Trail had a more relaxed head / seat angle, a longer stroke shock and different shock shuttle to give 170mm rear travel

the complete Enduro and SX Trail bikes had a different parts specification to reflect the difference in the intended use (Enduro - All Mountain, SX Trail- Freeride Lite)

it was felt that there was not enough of a difference between the 2 models, as both were pretty heavy (although the SX Trail was well within the ball park weight for the style of bike it was)

For the 2007 Enduro range Specialized developed their own new frame, fork and shock package to reduce weight and increase All-Mountain performance

Thanks for the reply.

Was just interested as i have a SX trial that i bought as a frame to build to my own spec.

Was not happy with the spec of the 2 that were out when i got it o just bought the frame and added the parts that i wanted.

Thanks
    Dave
  • russ0228
    galafunck do were in aberdeen today to drop off that frame.
  • TomR
    TomR Posts: 50
    Shouldn't have any trouble, i knew a guy who dirt jumped on an old Rockhopper XC bike and they replaced his frame 2 or 3 times without too much fuss.
  • GALAFUNK
    GALAFUNK Posts: 6
    Dropped it off today in aberdeen, edin bike co were really helpfull and they're going to send it off to spesh.
    spoke to spesh uk this morning as well, turns out its 5 years on the frame and 2 on the chainstays as far as the warrenty is conserned. even though i've had the bike for 2yr 2wks there going to sort it out no worries!! top marks to specialized....way to make someone brand loyal!!
    thanks for all you comments folks, dave
  • TomR
    TomR Posts: 50
    Thats pretty good of them that, but surely chainstays are the frame....?
  • russ0228
    hey galafunk i thought that was you dropping off the frame today. i was busy helping someone so i didn't geta chance to come and say fit like
  • russ, you never know, i might catch you for a F'like when i pick it up.

tom, suppose the chainstays are the frame but they're all on pivot points on the enduro so they can come apart if they have to.
  • thaibog
    thaibog Posts: 271
    russ0228 wrote:
    hewison wrote:

no offense mate but thats how nasty rumours get started. i speak to spesh uk once/twice a month and i have yet to here what you hear. you must have a boffin tucked in the corner of apesh that i have never seen of heard of then you might be speaking out your backside. there are far to many people on forums who state they heard this or that. i have yet to send an enduro back for a crack on a chainstay

I heard it was a problem with the 05 and 06 m5 enduros so i payed very special attention to those chainstay welds....Lo and behold mine cracked in the same place as many other peoples.
    Off it goes to specialized for a new back end.{problem is will it happen again?}
    I have had to strip my bike..lose two weeks of full suss riding { again} and then spend another couple of hours putting it all back together.
    The guys at the shop told me to go get the bearings pressed out myself and just to send the back end.....sod that!

Your problem - you deal with it.!
    Just get me a bike that I jave spent £ 3 grand on back to me without any fuss......It seriously sounded like they where doing me a favour.

Its a definate weak spot on the frame..
    Lovely frame though...thumbs up for the s-works {8o>
  • russ0228
    thaibog if you take it back to the shop you bought it from, it is there problem. if its under warranty then they have to strip down and put it togehter. that also inlcudes the removing/installing the bearings. ask to speak to the manager as it sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one mate.
  • thaibog
    thaibog Posts: 271
    Hi Russ...yeah they sorted it quickly..its a known problem and they say specialized has a back order of modified chainstays..none in england yet..the shop is gonna break down one thats been in thier showroom for me and stick on the rear triangle just to get me going. and if it breaks again they will replace it with the updated one. I am easy with that as its a weld failt and nothing thats gonna cause any injury { hopefully ) hehehehe
    If it cracks again they will replace it with an updated one.
    I think its the same as the sx trail updated one with some rienforcing.

Hope this is some use to you guys