bike maintenance

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
is it worth me fixing my bike or taking it into shop when it goes wrong, i thinking of getting a bike stand and some tools to fix my gear cables and brake cables but is it just easier taking it to bike shop how often do i need to replace gear and brake cables

Comments

• Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Bike stands are really useful, but not necessary. I do almost all repairs/maintenance on my bikes and I don't have one (yet). When I sort out a new shed (on the big list of stuff to be done) I'll get one.

Having the right tools is good, but I've bought stuff as I need it rather than plumping for one big toolkit.

Knowing what to do is the key. Either buy a bicycle maintenance book (you'll probably get some recommendations in a bit) or look at the Park Tools website which has guides on pretty much everything.

Taking a bike apart and putting it back together (even if it's a £3 2nd hand bike) can be a really good way to start.

The only bits I get my local bike shop to do are headset fitting, bottom bracket fitting (I'm worried about stripping the threads) and bar-tape (they just do a much better job than I can!).
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.