chainsets

rovers69
rovers69 Posts: 32
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
At risk of sounding very stupid, what is going on with campag chainsets?
How can it be that a perfectly good (excellent) chainset made of alloy, can be sold for 70 quid today when last year it was sold for 200 quid?

Is it really true that the carbon jobbies that campag are pushing now are 4 times better than the alloy jobs that they were pushing last year?
Is carbon a fad?

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    rovers69 wrote:
    Is carbon a fad?
    Yes (but steel is real)
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    You ansered you own question... they're flogging off the old models because the many gullible will buy the new, having been convinced by glossy marketing and cheating stage racers that its better. 4 x better apparently.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    It's what always happens when a range is replaced. The old stock has to be got rid of. Make mine a 2003 Chorus :)
    BTW, I think carbon is here to stay, but I don't like the way it looks. Bike parts should be polished alloy [with an allowance for purple anodising]. Death to Zip. Death to black components!
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    4x better? Eh? What does that mean?! 4x more expensive, or 4x stiffer, or 4x lighter?
    I seem to recall from my catalogue surfing days last year that they were no lighter - have they got better?

Do Shimano offer a carbon crankset yet?
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Also, don't forget that Campag brought in their new style of double chainset and matching and bottom bracket for '07, so the older square-taper type are effectively 'old hat' in the eyes of the cycle trade and being offered at lower prices simply to clear the stocks. This doesn't apply to triple chainsets, mind, where Campag are still using the traditional BB set-up.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal