Where do you put your stuff.

brap talk
brap talk Posts: 6
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
As a roadie newbie, I`m struggling to find places to carry all the kit you take with you on a ride. when out with an MTB it all gets stuffed in the camelbak, but I can`t be doing that on the road bike. What`s the answer, Where do you put it :?:

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Saddle stuffer for tubes and tools - or cut an old drinking bottle in half and stuff tubes and tools in this and put it in your spare bottle cage (this is the official old skool way to carry this stuff).

Jersey pockets for cape, phone, keys, sticky fig rolls, spare clothing etc etc
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    what do you take?

all I take is a multitool (crank Bros 19), two soma tyre leavers, park glueless patches, 1 spare tube, and a pair of quicklinks. Easily fits into a small saddle bag, or I use a bottle in one of the 4 bottle cages.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Tubes, tools, patches in my seat pack.
    Bidons & Pump on the frame.
    Cash & phone in my pockets.
    Rich
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I forgot, pump and CO2 on frame.
  • I don't even bother with any of that. Only thing i take is a mobile phone and make sure i've got someone to call so they can rescue me!!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bottle and pump on the standard sort of position on the frame.

Small saddle bag which I try to fit everything else in (eg spare tube, couple of allen keys, tyre levers, multispanner thingy, keys, wallets)

What I can't fit in the saddle bag goes in my pockets, normally just my phone.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    I put anything soft (waterproof/gillet, food, map) in jersey pockets, and anything hard (phones, keys, tools) in a little saddlepack.

If you do come off (even if it's just a clipless moment outside your house) you'll be really happy that you didn't land on your keys and/or multi-tool, and smash the screen of your phone.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    For christ sake, what do you need on a ride that you cannot fit into one pocket; something to repair a puncture, a phone and some cash. Get light, get real.
  • redddraggon
    gavintc wrote:
    For christ sake, what do you need on a ride that you cannot fit into one pocket; something to repair a puncture, a phone and some cash. Get light, get real.

It depends where you are going.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Greenbank
    It depends where you are going.
    And whether you want to complete what you set out to do if something goes wrong.
    --
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Well you guys can take the kitchen sink, but most roadies carry minimalist kit. I have certainly never needed any more. I am often amused at cafe halts when the local CTC come in with loaded Carradice saddle bags bigger than a touring pannier for Sunday run.
  • redddraggon
    gavintc wrote:
    Well you guys can take the kitchen sink, but most roadies carry minimalist kit. I have certainly never needed any more. I am often amused at cafe halts when the local CTC come in with loaded Carradice saddle bags bigger than a touring pannier for Sunday run.

I wouldn't say this list was a lot of kit:

Spare tube
    multitool
    tyre levers
    pump
    water bottle

That's the minimum amount of kit I'd go anywhere with. I normally carry my phone and wallet as well - because I can. If that's the kitchen sink, you don't want to know what I carry every day on my bike.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • all i carry is food, water my mobile and a note i.e £10 light as poss, i've not spent £2k on a carbon framed bike for less weight = more speed to weigh it down with pumps multi tools tyres inner tubes patches bla bla bla, if you get stuck get the mobile out and phone the aa or the r.a.c lol :D. plus the kitchen sink is normally handled/carried by woman is it not? arf arf :P
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • Rezillo
    Rezillo Posts: 95
    I have a rackbag on my hybrid, mainly because I pass a number of houses when cycling round mid Suffolk where people sell (or occasionally give away) their garden produce. Saturday was two bags of spuds, yesterday some fresh peas and strawberries and today some very tasty plums. If you live out in the sticks, you can get almost anything in season. After a while, you get to know which houses might have something and I change my route to check what they've got!

It was buying 'proper' eggs from a home seller that persuaded us to get our own hens. There's also a honey seller and another place that sells cheap flowers - a bunch can be held in by the top webbing of the rackpack and earns me some brownie points on my return. I can't help feeling, though, that someone following me will think I've got a bunch of flowers sticking out of my backside..

It gets a bit lean in winter but there's still an allotment holder (about 15 miles away in the middle of nowhere) who has a stand that looks like a mail sorting office that's guaranteed to have something.

The rackpack also contains an inner tube, a few tools, cable lock, a waterproof and a pack of emergency fig rolls. On Sundays, it also holds three heavyweight newspapers.

John
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    i'm with gavintc here!!

:D

get light! we're weight-weenies.

I take:

1 tyre lever,
    1 patch kit
    a £10/5/20 note
    a debit/cash card
    a small pump

that's it. that's really it. and it works! on a long sportif ride i might take a spare light weight tube, a gel, and an allen key (NOT a multitool!) but that's it!
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    i'm with gavintc here!!

I take:

1 tyre lever,
    1 patch kit
    a £10/5/20 note
    a debit/cash card
    a small pump

that's it. that's really it. and it works! on a long sportif ride i might take a spare light weight tube, a gel, and an allen key (NOT a multitool!) but that's it!

Here lies the crux - a "long sportif ride" is not necessarily a long ride. :wink:
  • Greenbank
    And it's good training lugging around 18lbs of crap in a Carradice saddlebag. Some of those gruffly CTCers are surprisingly nippy when they aren't riding a fully laden Dawes Galaxy.
    --
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Bottle and pump on the standard sort of position on the frame.

Small saddle bag which I try to fit everything else in (eg spare tube, couple of allen keys, tyre levers, multispanner thingy, keys, wallets)

What I can't fit in the saddle bag goes in my pockets, normally just my phone.

Same here, I use mini pump on the frame, enough to get me home to the track pump
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    Topeak alien mini tool, spare tube and 'leech' patches plus tiny Sony mobile go into the seat wedge with a Crank Bros mini pump underneath...anything else (keys, cash, food, lightweight waterproof etc) goes into the jersey pockets
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    Noodley wrote:
    i'm with gavintc here!!

I take:

1 tyre lever,
    1 patch kit
    a £10/5/20 note
    a debit/cash card
    a small pump

Here lies the crux - a "long sportif ride" is not necessarily a long ride. :wink:

it's not the same as a long UNSUPPORTED ride, but you can't convince me that 120plus miles and 4500m odd of climbing is not a long ride!!