Groupset Upgrades

Elskippy
Elskippy Posts: 35
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Hi,
I have been pondering upgrading the groupset on my Specialized Allez. But I'm wondering...is it really worth it? Or should I wait until i can just buy a new bike?

Thoughts most welcome!

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Presume you currently have Sora. What would you upgrade to?

I reckon the minimum would be to 105. This goes for about £300. Plus labour charges (£100?).

I have an Allez Sport (Tiagra) and am looking forward to upgrading soon - to a new bike...
    Rich
  • Stwutter
    Stwutter Posts: 362
    To make any noticable diffrence, you really have to go up by 2 or 3 levels I think. If you went from Sora to Tiagra, for example, the weight saving would be tiny, and the performance nearly identical. You'd effectively notice no difference.

It's about balance. If you're happy with the Allez, and intend on keeping it for a while, then, as above, maybe Shimano 105 or Campag Veloce - but there's no point going for top end groupsets that cost ££££'s more than your frame and wheels - you may as well save up and a buy whole new bike.

If you're gonna stick with the Spesh for a bit, and want to spend ,say, £200 on an upgrade, leave your groupset and spend it on new wheels - you'll really notice the difference then.
    Knackered? Me?
  • Elskippy
    Elskippy Posts: 35
    Stwutter wrote:
    To make any noticable diffrence, you really have to go up by 2 or 3 levels I think. If you went from Sora to Tiagra, for example, the weight saving would be tiny, and the performance nearly identical. You'd effectively notice no difference.

It's about balance. If you're happy with the Allez, and intend on keeping it for a while, then, as above, maybe Shimano 105 or Campag Veloce - but there's no point going for top end groupsets that cost ££££'s more than your frame and wheels - you may as well save up and a buy whole new bike.

If you're gonna stick with the Spesh for a bit, and want to spend ,say, £200 on an upgrade, leave your groupset and spend it on new wheels - you'll really notice the difference then.

Thanks fior the advice. I was thinking that instead of spending £300 + on an upgrade i might well just wait until I can totally upgrade to a new bike...i think the frame on mine is a tiny bit too big for me so probably better to go for a whole new bike. Did get me some new wheels though a couple of months ago...and you're right!
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I'd keep the money safe in a high interest paying account and buy the bike you lust after later (is that legal :lol: ). I always feel that upgrading bikes at that level is not worth it unless you need to replace parts through wear and tear. Just enjoy the Allez as it is for a little bit longer. :D
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    I'd keep the money safe in a high interest paying account and buy the bike you lust after later (is that legal :lol: ). I always feel that upgrading bikes at that level is not worth it unless you need to replace parts through wear and tear. Just enjoy the Allez as it is for a little bit longer. :D

Yes, although if you invest in good wheels they can be moved across to a better bike even later.

Best single upgrade I did was to buy shallower drop 'strada' style handlebars. I can ride/race comfortably on the drops all day now.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I'd go with the wheel upgrade route - big difference if you get a lighter wheelset and they are far easier to port onto a new frame at some point in the future.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    ricadus wrote:
    Yes, although if you invest in good wheels they can be moved across to a better bike even later.

Thats true, however does that mean you could be in a situation where if you went with say Shimano wheels just now, you'd be obliged to keep to Shimano groupset and when looking at new bikes later on, Campag equipped bikes wouldn't be an option if you wanted to keep the wheelset - or having to sell the wheelset at a loss?

Its not a trick question, I know little about the interchangability and compatability of wheelsets between groupsets and this is more about curiousity - though it may well help Elskippy in making a decision also.
  • Stwutter
    Stwutter Posts: 362
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    ricadus wrote:

Thats true, however does that mean you could be in a situation where if you went with say Shimano wheels just now, you'd be obliged to keep to Shimano groupset and when looking at new bikes later on, Campag equipped bikes wouldn't be an option if you wanted to keep the wheelset - or having to sell the wheelset at a loss?

Good point. They can be altered to fit if you change from Campag/Shimano/SRAM by your LBS though,but not sure of the cost or value of this. I guess you'd have to measure against the value of the wheelset at the time.

The simpliest way is to stick with the same - ie: Campag, because they're a billion times better than Shimano...

... *put's on hard-hat and runs for cover*
    Knackered? Me?