Lejog in December?

woodford2barbican
woodford2barbican Posts: 1,505
edited July 2007 in Tour & expedition
Any thoughts from anyone about the sense of attempting Lejog in December, unsupported in nine days?

Is this too big an ask, due to weather conditions and daylight limitations?

This is the only chance that I will get to do this for the next ten years, as the wife is going away for 3 weeks leaving me to fend for myself......

Comments

• carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    If it was me (and i've been trying to get the 'permission' for 2 years now) I would go for it.

Get all the proper kit (decent lights included) and train like there is no tommorrow.

As you say you may not get the chance again. Whats the worse that can happen? You don't make it.

Just do it!
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    A real expedition! You won't see many fair-weather riders on your trip. Good lights with a suitable charge/run time and the right gear and you should be fine, and imagine the added sense of achievement when you get to the end!

The way I see it is if Audaxers can do London-Edinburgh-London in 4 days then anything is possible!

a serious case of small cogs
  • stu99
    stu99 Posts: 177
    I'd definitely consider it.

Assuming reasonable weather and no ice or snow on the roads, your only real obstacle will be short days but if you make sure you are on your way each day by 08h00 or 08h30 then you'll have at least 7 or 8 hours of daylight. B&B accommodation might be a problem at that time of year but there are plenty of cheap hotels en-route.

Select your clothing carefully. I'd also recommend a lightweight backpack to ease the load (and add a bit of extra warmth) but make sure it doesn't weigh more than about 3 kgs in total. With the likelihood of frost in the morning I'd avoid front panniers or barbags so that you can keep the weight off the front wheel.
  • So it appears not to be a totally silly idea.

If I am going to do this I am going to have to get cracking. I need to build a bike and also get a bit fitter!

Thanks for all the advice, I am sure that I will be back for more in the months to come. I have most of the equipment I will need already, I suspect that the hardest decisions will be what not to take!