New BIke: Planet or Scott

zeroshoddy
zeroshoddy Posts: 59
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Time for an upgrade. Budget tight.

Good buys seem: Planet X Ultegra £1000, or Scott CR1 Pro £1400.

I know big price diff. Just wonderd if, at all, Scott whoel load better. Comments.

A

Comments

• Interested in what people have to say about this?
  • zeroshoddy
    yes
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    Looks to me that it is slightly lighter than the Planet X (1/2 lb maybe) and has Mavic Ksyrium wheels which is suppose most people would say are a better bet than the Reynolds wheels on the Planet X.

However you probably won't get the options you get with the Planet X (stem/crank length gear ratio selection etc.) and you may get as good a customer service with the Scott but I guarantee it won't be better than Planet X.

So £400 difference, you have to decide yourself whether its worth it?
  • zeroshoddy
    Cheers. Just sort of feedback i after.
  • simbil1
    simbil1 Posts: 620
    For the £400 price difference you could put some good wheels on the PlanetX and I think it would then be the better machine by a long way.
    The only thing I'd change on mine are the wheels.
  • What are you going to use the bike for?

Having seen these bikes up close at this seasons TT's i can say they both perfom well. The planet x with a set of deep rims looks the nuts if looks are important to you?

Personally i would buy the PlanetX and use the extra cash on a set of good rims.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Where are you getting the Planet X from?The sites I have seen promote the £999 bike but the Ultegra is actually £1399. The Scott which is a far better looker IMO is a £2k bike reduced to £1400 available on 0% finance!
    Still breathing.....
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    There was a deal with P-X for £999. Appears to have finished now. Looks like Ultegra is now back up to £1,399.

I would go with the Scott CR1 Pro at £1,400.
    Rich