how long should you wait for a part

red eye
red eye Posts: 264
edited August 2007 in MTB general
how long would you wait for a spar part ordered at you lbs before you go back and cancel the order and get your money back?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it depends.

maybe it is not available at the moment and if you cancel you might drop down the que.

what is it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • red eye
    a pumping rod for my marzocci z5. windwave said its in stock, bike shop says they on back order.
    i was thinking of going to another shop and ordering but dont want to be waiting till xmass 2054
  • hamboman
    hamboman Posts: 512
    Give them a deadline. It worked when I ordered some 661 shoes from a site - they p1ssed around for ages and then I said they had till the end of the week or I was canceling and they managed to find some!
  • russ0228
    russ0228 Posts: 228
    if something is on back order then it could be a week or it could be a month. as some distributors (i won't mention who but they know who they are) charge a company less if the orders come over a certain amount. if the lbs was to order a £9.95 part it might cost upwards of £50.00 punds by the time it gets prcessed through the mill and onto your hands. so find out just how long it will take and if you feel that it is not a suitable time then phone elsewhere to see if any one has one in stock. the best people to get stuff from at the moment are hope and ultimate persuits and madison. no waiting and definately no extra charges for a small order to your lbs.
    thats why i've got rock shox baby!!!
    internet (in ter net), secret sanctuary of idiots and nutters.
  • red eye
    well i have asked a number of times each time i get the same answer.
    i am considering getting a set machined out of alu or steel at least that way i'll get them in a few days. im going to find out how much it will cost
  • i-drive
    i-drive Posts: 527
    i never order things through shops for this reason ,my experience has been if they don,t have it in stock then they say we can order it for you then low & behold it takes bloody ages,stick to ordering through the net if thats not possible get a friend to do it.
  • red eye
    i guess paying an extra £10 would of meant i would have my forks back on my bike.

i dont know i got a price off windwave with the part number gave it all to the shop, i also paid in full as i was expecting it to be more then windwaves price. thought if i pay in full then they cant put the price up later maybe they waiting to make a big order
  • red eye
    ok i have had enough i have emailed windwave to see if i can get the part direct off them.
    if not them im going to get some rods machined up, this way i can make the rod 20mm longer giving me 120mm travel
    making a technical drawing in paint so i can email for quotes as i type

im not spending a penny in that sh!t hole ever again :evil:
  • milky_
    milky_ Posts: 40
    I always phone to check the stock levels.
  • red eye
    i email windwave and they said its in stock so i dont know what bike shops doing maybe they going to put it on order so that it'll be shipped in with the rest of there order.
    but regardless they should of told me, im not a prick and go shouting my mouth off i would of minded if it to a month or so if it meant i got it for £5 hell i would even pay extra to get it sooner

back order my left testicle