bipedal Posts: 466
edited July 2007 in Pro race
team borat is one kazahk down

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I thought he had a stake in the team.

Does this mean he jus sacked himself?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Face saving for the team,i suppose
    so many cols,so little time!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I wonder if the Kazak press has started reporting on it yet?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • bipedal
    here's the press release:

ALEXANDRE VINOKOUROV EXCLUDED FROM THE ASTANA CYCLING TEAM
    Astana Cycling Team received the confirmation that the B-sample of Alexandre Vinokourov was also “non negative”. The rider is then fired from the Astana Cycling Team with immediate effect.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Ast ... 32680.html
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    what in the blazes are they using phrases like "non-negative" for now!!!!!!
    *SCREAAAAAMMMMMMM*
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Now we are going to be treated to the spectacle of Vino spending his ill gotten gains on legal bills racked up by the team that's done such a good job in defending 'Roid' Landis.

Apparently he claims his crash caused his blood to swell up in his leg and that the test protocol has only existed for two years, therefore it's not good enough. The fefence is already familiar, putting bizarre excuses and shooting the messenger at the same time.

Moreni was a rat for what he did to Cofidis but at least he had the grace to cop the rap.
  • bipedal
    does anyone know if Astana will be allowed to ride the Vuelta?

I remember reading somewhere that the pro-tour ethical charter should bar them from pro-tour events if they have two positives in a season... or did I dream that one up?!?
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Kléber wrote:
    Now we are going to be treated to the spectacle of Vino spending his ill gotten gains on legal bills racked up by the team that's done such a good job in defending 'Roid' Landis.

Apparently he claims his crash caused his blood to swell up in his leg and that the test protocol has only existed for two years, therefore it's not good enough. The fefence is already familiar, putting bizarre excuses and shooting the messenger at the same time.

Moreni was a rat for what he did to Cofidis but at least he had the grace to cop the rap.

I'm sure I read/heard somewhere (the last few weeks are all a bit of a blur) that Vino wasn't going to waste time/money defending himself because he felt it was a fruitles exercise.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    ddraver wrote:
    what in the blazes are they using phrases like "non-negative" for now!!!!!!
    *SCREAAAAAMMMMMMM*

Perhaps their statement should say 'his status had been amended to negatively-employed.'
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    bipedal wrote:
    does anyone know if Astana will be allowed to ride the Vuelta?

I remember reading somewhere that the pro-tour ethical charter should bar them from pro-tour events if they have two positives in a season... or did I dream that one up?!?

They probably do............which seems at odds with Pat MyQuim saying that Astana have "every right to ride the Vuelta"
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... jul29news2
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Kléber wrote:

so it caused his body to make different blood dit it...amazing thing the human body eh? :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    I thought it was his team?? :?

The bit about him not wanting to contest the finding was a bad translation. He said something along the lines of im not going to waste my time pleading innocent as I have better things (appeals etc ) to be dealing with, the cycling press came out with Vino not to contest positive test...

Which he is by the way, the appeals already in the post!
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    I'm still suprised that anyone could be so dumb as to cheat in such an obvious way and then go out and capitalise on it - twice! It's the same as bank robbers taking their masks off and smiling at CCTV cameras. I'm not saying I think he's innocent but given the 'national pride' etc it strikes me as being so stupid it's almost beyond belief. Wind the clock back 15 years when Kazachistan was part of the CCCP, he would have 'dissapeared in the night' for causing so much shame! The same could be said for all the cheaters I guess - plus, the opportunities for sabotaging others must exist - either manipulating samples or adding banned substances to foods/drinks. I know it sounds a bit far fetched but i really do struggle to believe at times as to whether it is plain stupidity or more sinister! How would the team not know he had taken another blood type on board? Surely that stuff must be known?
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    I'd like to know which side the Kazakh press and public are taking and what the president wants the team to do next. I thought it would fold without Vino, but perhaps they are hoping Kashechkin will be their next hero? Does anybody think he's capable of winning the Tour one day? He's 27 now.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Eurostar wrote:
    I'd like to know which side the Kazakh press and public are taking and what the president wants the team to do next.

I've no idea but I doubt they have a full free press there. For what it's worth Wikipedia says "privately owned and opposition media are routinely harassed and censored".

Nor are the public very educated when it comes to cycling and its history. I can imagine complaints of conspiracy, just as some loons in California think Landis was targeted by angry Frenchmen keen to overthrow the "yankee" :roll:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    From a few day ago, Kazakh press is not reporting it at all:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 915221.stm
  • bipedal
    Now astana have no bikes... BMC pull the plug:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/b ... ista-11881

Shame not to see those fine machines in the peloton
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    bipedal wrote:
    That's irony, right? :shock:
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I like their appearance even if their colouring is a bit naff.
  • bipedal
    andyp wrote:
    bipedal wrote:
    That's irony, right? :shock:

Nope... I think they're really nice! What's not to like?
  • bipedal
    you couldn't make this stuff up:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/k ... cent-11888

and they wonder why Kazahkstan is such a laughing stock
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    bipedal wrote:
    Where to start? They are the ugliest frames around, and there is a lot of competition these days. They look like they were designed by a committee of visually challenged engineers. Horrible, horrible things.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    bipedal wrote:
    Where to start? They are the ugliest frames around, and there is a lot of competition these days. They look like they were designed by a committee of visually challenged engineers. Horrible, horrible things.

I don't think they're that bad.

And they've got the dubious honour of being the only bikes ridden by people who tested positive for blood doping!
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.