A40/Westway marylebone to shepards bush..

WyS
WyS Posts: 254
edited August 2007 in Commuting chat
are you allowed to cycle over it? i did on saturday afternoon and it was very interesting! took a couple of nice photos and no one gave me any grief.

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I'm not aware of any restriction, but IMHO, I'd stay well clear, I imagine that the donuts driving their cars aren't expecting people to be cycling across the fly over, so even less chance of them seeing you!!
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    As above. Most drivers treat this stretch of road as motorway, which is what the designers intended no doubt about it. Definitely not cycle friendly infrastructure. Proceed with caution!
    ________
    Lamborghini v8 history
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • WyS
    WyS Posts: 254
    when i joined it it seemed to be do able.. along the hard shoulder np.. no beeps or anything. i wanted to go to acton, but at the exit for bush the hard shoulder disappeared and there was a rather large hill. I decided against that part.

Acton high street i had to deal with an aggy bendy bus driver who tried it on twice. He got a nice dent in his door.

Dunno if i'd do it again but i strangely enjoyed it!
  • markhr
    markhr Posts: 265
    While the A40 is an A road and not a motorway there is a bicycle, horse, pedestrian prohibition notice at the Acton on ramp (east bound). That said I've used to get into the city and it saves 15-20 minutes over the acton-shepherds detour.
    shameless powercranks plug

Don\'t run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
  • RedGT
    RedGT Posts: 238
    markhr wrote:
    While the A40 is an A road and not a motorway there is a bicycle, horse, pedestrian prohibition notice at the Acton on ramp (east bound). That said I've used to get into the city and it saves 15-20 minutes over the acton-shepherds detour.

Isn't the westway part of the A40 the A40(M) any more? If it is then
    it's a no no for cyclist, if the police see ya then they'll definitely stop you.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I thought the M40 started/stopped way past Ruislip (west).
  • RedGT
    I thought the M40 started/stopped way past Ruislip (west).

M40 yes, but I was talking about the A40(M). Haven't been up that way in ages
    so I'm not really sure if the westway is still classed as the A40(M) where motorway
    rules were in force.
  • That elevated bit of the A40 between Acton and Marylebone has been declassified as a motorway as Transport For London wanted it under its control and legally national govt can only be the ones in charge of motorways. Also they've removed the street lights on it which seems a bit dangerous.

Even if it no longer motorway, wouldn't want to go on it on a bike as the drivers aren't expecting to see bicycles on it ansd they behave like it is motorway..
  • Foxy
    Foxy Posts: 27
    Probably the stupidest thing I've done in a LONG time but I went between Marylebone and Shepherds Bush on the A40 at night the other day on a whim, thinking I'd save some time and check it out. It was a nightmare. Bad fumes, traffic hurtling along, no streetlights, and a huge amount of rubbish strewn along the hard shoulder. All in all extremely dangerous - never again! :oops:
  • RedGT
    Did the same thing myself when I thought I'd use the A2 from falconwood to dartford,
    very quick route but very scary.