105 double/ triple chainset switch

winkywonky
winkywonky Posts: 228
edited July 2007 in Workshop
Is it a straight swap from a double 105 chainset to a triple?

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i dont know i just wanted to use the quick reply function...

sorry
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If the chainset is Hollowtech 2 it is a straight swap. If Octolink you will need the correct BB unit.
    Both will require a long cage mech and a longer chain.
    The 105 STI should work for double or triple.
  • winkywonky
    Thanks John, it's for my brother's bike so I don't know off hand, but I think it's a Hollowtech 2 105. :D
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Will the sti work for double and triple? I thought they only had 2 shifts in them if they were designed for a double? Hence I thought switching to a triple was quite alot of faff?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Parkers list 105 10-speed levers as compatible with double or triple - but Ultegra 10-speed is not confusingly!!
  • winkywonky
    I fitted 105 groupset on my Alllez not long ago and when setting the gear lever you have to set it up a certain way because it does cover 3 shifts, so I suppose I've answered my original question myself...how stupid. :oops:
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    edited July 2007
    Parkers are correct. 105 will do either but Ultegra 10sp is now double or triple specific.
  • An alternative, and some would say better option would be to fit a compact chainset, with 50 and 34 tooth chain wheels to give almost as wide a gear range as a triple. with signicantly less cost. Ideally the front derailure should have a band mounting to make the change easy
    I want to climb hills so badly;
    and I climb hills so badly