child bike seats

zummerzet_lou
zummerzet_lou Posts: 232
edited November 2007 in Family & kids cycling forum
am fancying one of these ...
http://www.sterlinghouse.co.uk/ViewProduct.aspx.qmap/ptId/280/pId/52684

Has anyone used these for their children?

I have a Specialized Sirrus (Comp) and am pondering about this as my son wants to come out with me.

how easy are they to fit? (Not necessarily the one in the link), and would I be able to keep the rear rack? I commute and not sure about the faff of fitting seat, removing rack, and vice versa when it's work time!

TIA,

Lou
Zummerzet Lou

Cycle shorts have magic powers that make a big bum look HUGE!!

Comments

• jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    I'm contemplating the same at the moment.
    I have a rear rack mounted seat for one child, its excellent.
    Takes 60 seconds to attach the seat and I just remove it after the ride and refit my panniers for the commute.
    My brother uses a similar one in the link though. It "bounces" a bit with the child in the seat! but I suppose you could argue its suspension of sorts...My pannier mounted one is certainly very rigid.
    I'm not actually sure that you'll get the seat on with your pannier rack still in place.
    I suspect that I'll get another rack mounted one for our other child to fit on my wifes bike. The down side it that the rack ones are often £70+....but then they do come with a £25/£30 rack..
    Better than a trailer, in my experience anyway.
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • Just a quick update .. got a bike seat from Argos £24.99.

It "just" fits on top of my rack .. you can't quick release the seat but have to undo the bolts .. but 4 bolts is easier than removing rack, mudguards add mudgurads back and then seat and then reverse.

Took my son on a nip around the block .. was very wobbly and conmpletely underestimated how unwieldy bike would feel.

Then went for about 25 - 30mile ride on saturday ... bit further than we intended but son was really good and got the hang of starting and stopping etc.
    Zummerzet Lou

Cycle shorts have magic powers that make a big bum look HUGE!!
  • am fancying one of these ...
    http://www.sterlinghouse.co.uk/ViewProduct.aspx.qmap/ptId/280/pId/52684

Has anyone used these for their children?

I have a Specialized Sirrus (Comp) and am pondering about this as my son wants to come out with me.

how easy are they to fit? (Not necessarily the one in the link), and would I be able to keep the rear rack? I commute and not sure about the faff of fitting seat, removing rack, and vice versa when it's work time!

TIA,

Lou
    dont use sterling house,
    they deal in returned goods, many people i know have used them and the items have
    been unsafe or needed work, i bought a bike from there once (when youner) it was returnend as theframe was fractured in 7 places replacement came dented to buggery

if you value your kids safety go for a good company not a catalouge retuns co

http://www.blagger.com/db4/company_id/1 ... House.html more info
    http://www.justgiving.com/bos2010 Fundraising for Sands, the Stillbirth and neonatal death charity
    www.imwellconfused.me.uk
  • Have a look at the Co-Pilot Limo. It is fantastic. It is very secure, takes 10 seconds to fit and comes with a quality Blackburn rack. My 18 month old son loves riding in it. It also reclines which at first I thought was a dubious feature but after he fell asleep during a morning ride it paid for itself! Yes it is expensive but I think it is worth saving up the pennies for. The only downsides that I can see are the cost(around 100 pounds) and the velcro footstraps are a bit of a pain.
  • I used this same seat for several years with 2 kids a,d it was fine. Easily removed. Bouncing makes for good suspension, but is noisy when ridden without a child.
    Hamax seats are goos too - similar design but a biot more solid.

richard
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    I've got a Hamax Sleepy - which has been fine.

I reckon you can remove / fit it in about 10 seconds - really very easy.

It is a little bouncy - but then I think that's supposed to be more comfortable than rigid - when's the last time you dropped off a kerb and didn't take any weight on your legs?? Wouldn't fancy the jarring myself!!! (Esp on a normal bike seat!!)

According to my LBS can't be used with a rear rack - and I haven't tried.
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • hi
    1st post for me so go easy

Have not thought about one of these from weeride, There is a cross bar mounted metal bar that goes from the headtube to the seatpost then the seat is fastened to that via a nylon strap and a 5mm allen bolt (takes about 5 mins to remove the seat leaving the bar mounted).

Ive had one for a few days now and my 2yr old loves it as she sits upfront with me and we can chat and learn as we ride, Trouble is i'd not riden a bike for near on 5 yrs so im a bit achey LoL

I fitted it on an old Spesh fsr full susser so she also gets the benefit of suspension

Well worth the £65

www.weeride.com
  • I used this same seat for several years with 2 kids a,d it was fine. Easily removed. Bouncing makes for good suspension, but is noisy when ridden without a child.
    Hamax seats are goos too - similar design but a biot more solid.

richard

My wife has a co pilot (not limo though) and whilst out last night, she had tumble with our 18mth old in the seat. Bike went down to the side and no part of my daughters body touched the ground. Both OK thankfully. Would definately consider paying a bit more fro complete peace of mind.
  • I bought a wee ride from Sterlinghouse about 12 months ago.

Yes, their bikes are crap but you only get what you pay for (as I know only too well!). The saving of £25 on the Wee Ride is amazing and it is great for my two year old daughter. Bit awkward at first getting used to the ride position but can be fitted or removed from the false crossbar in 30 seconds with an Allen Key

http://www.sterlinghouse.co.uk/ViewProd ... /pId/53865
  • Take a look at the Bobike seats from AMBA Marketing at a price agreed but dead easy to fit and well made. Ruth and Nic who run AMBA ahve a little one themselves so deal from a sound knowledge base of cycling and children.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Hi. We have a Bike Tutor which we only got a month or so ago. Its not a quick release seat and if you need a seat that comes off in seconds its probably not for you. I was concerned about the faf of putting it on then taking it off every time I wanted to take the munchkin out but found that because the seat does not intefere with your riding position (push your knees out) I have left it on. I now ride to work everyday and we can go for a ride at no notice as there is nothing to fit.

Just a thought but is a bike with a child seat fitted more or less desirable to a scumbag bike thief?

Anyway once fitted the Bike Tutor is great. Rock solid all metal and great fun. if you definatly need a seat that can be removed in seconds its not for you but if not it may be worth a look.

Good luck

http://www.bike-tutor.com
  • I just bought a Copilot Taxi from the LBS near work (An Evans) - the box it comes in is enormous and it looks pretty funny strapped onto my rack with bungee chords. I'll fit it tonight and try it out with my son on the nursery run tomorrow morning. (We normally use a child trailer, but I do find it a hassle!)