Marzocchi Dirt Jumper Problem

Steven The Great
Steven The Great Posts: 4,332
edited July 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I was out on a ride yesterday and my 2006 Dirt Jumper 1 started to harshly top out whenever i bunnyhopped, manualed, jumped etc. It has also taken on pogo stick type handling, and bounces around all over the place. I usually run my forks with around 10psi in each leg (i prefer a harder front end) and I have taken the air out and experimented with different pressures to little effect.

I kid you not when I say this literally happened all of a sudden, and I have had no problems such as this with this fork or any other Marzocchi I have owned.

Has anyone experienced this before or know what has happened?

Thanks in advance for any help.
<center>"EpicClothingCo."</center>

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like something has broken/discontected in the rebound circuits.

either get them stripped or send them off for a looking at.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I had Dirt Jamp Pros up until the weekend (just got some new DJ2s) and they had exactly the same problem. Harsh top-outs as soon as you lift the front wheel, even of kerbs.

The rebound adjuster makes no difference either, nor did adjusting air pressure. I definately reckon some of the internals are broken.

As Nick suggested, best thing to do is get them looked at by a Marzocchi service centre.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I had Dirt Jamp Pros up until the weekend (just got some new DJ2s) and they had exactly the same problem. Harsh top-outs as soon as you lift the front wheel, even of kerbs.

The rebound adjuster makes no difference either, nor did adjusting air pressure. I definately reckon some of the internals are broken.

but that is normal for dirt jams. Not DJ1's
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    That may be so but the advice is still take them to a service centre. Not much he can do himself unless he knows how to disassemble, repair and rebuild forks... not to mention having any necessary spares to hand.

Anyway, DJ Pros might top out normally but not as bad as my ones did. There was definately more wrong with them than just being crap in the 1st place!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8