Forum home Mountain biking forum Health, fitness & training

Energy drop

AtzAtz Posts: 1,383
edited August 2007 in Health, fitness & training
I've noticed that the last few days that half way through the return leg of my commute my energy levels hit zero. Muscles not aching but there's nothing in the tank to power them so I roll back at a fairly low speed.

Is there anything I can eat/drink before leaving work to give me a boost in energy levels?

Posts

  • Atz wrote:
    I've noticed that the last few days that half way through the return leg of my commute my energy levels hit zero. Muscles not aching but there's nothing in the tank to power them so I roll back at a fairly low speed.

    Is there anything I can eat/drink before leaving work to give me a boost in energy levels?

    Maybe it's not what you eat before but how many hours do you sleep? And what kind of job do you have? Eating something is different from person to person. But try eating like a granola bar or something that fills you up quite right. To drink, try some juice.
    "someone is training when you are not. when you race him, he will win."
  • AtzAtz Posts: 1,383
    Well the sleep was fine the night before, I work in an office and after my morning ride I felt pretty good. I felt fine as I started my ride home but 2/3rds of the way back I hit a wall. As I'd had nothing to eat since lunch I have a feeling it might have been related to that. I guess some juice and a cereal bar a bit before heading out isn't a bad place to start.
  • Atz wrote:
    Well the sleep was fine the night before, I work in an office and after my morning ride I felt pretty good. I felt fine as I started my ride home but 2/3rds of the way back I hit a wall. As I'd had nothing to eat since lunch I have a feeling it might have been related to that. I guess some juice and a cereal bar a bit before heading out isn't a bad place to start.

    Try that, if it doesn't work let me know.
    "someone is training when you are not. when you race him, he will win."
  • AndyGatesAndyGates Posts: 8,467
    The grand tradition is a banana at 4pm so it's settled nicely for when you leave. Don't forget fluids too - energy slump can be dehydration and it's easy to dry out in an office. A nice cuppa works wonders.
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • AtzAtz Posts: 1,383
    Slight problem there... I detest bananas :) I drink a lot of water during the day and ride with a hydration pack so I'm good there at least.
  • Atz wrote:
    Slight problem there... I detest bananas :) I drink a lot of water during the day and ride with a hydration pack so I'm good there at least.

    Hate bananas? Try a kiwi, there packed with complex carbs..that will give you some energy!
    "someone is training when you are not. when you race him, he will win."
  • AtzAtz Posts: 1,383
    Well I tried an "energy bar" (Clif bar if anyone cares) and carried both water and a small bottle of water mixed with the usual powdered censored . Worked a lot better on the way back. Didn't hit any kind of wall and I felt quite fresh when I carried the bike back into the flat.

    On Monday I'm going to try a variety of fruit alternatives so I'm not chewing through my limited supply of food that I can eat on the trail.
  • overmarsovermars Posts: 430
    Do you ride the same distance all the time? If so that could be part of your lack of energy.
    I mean, if you keep on riding 5 miles, you're not really going to progress much, your body gets used to it and begins to shut down as you get closer to your destination.
    Introducing variety may help.

    Er... and food! :D
  • AndyGatesAndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Flaaaaaaapjaaaaaaack!
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
Sign In or Register to comment.