Birmingham

grimmison
grimmison Posts: 62
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
I'm moving to Birmingham this week and in need of insider knowledge.

Like where are the best roadie shops, what clubs are there for friendly but fast rides and which direction should I go to get to some decent hills (I'm moving from the peaks).

I'm living on the south side in Edgbaston.

Anyone got any tips?

Cheers

Comments

• Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    There's not that many "road" bike shops in Brum.

http://www.birminghamcitycycles.co.uk/ i

s one, and a bit further afield is my lbs

http://www.fredwilliamscycles.co.uk/FWC/index3.html

which is very good.

There's plenty of clubs around :-

http://www.halesowencycling.net/
    http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/

I think are the two nearest.

There's two velodromes in the area, at Halesowen (track league friday night) and one at Wolverhampton (track league wednesday night)
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    Birmingham City Cycles is run by an Aussie called Alistair, knows his stuff, great customer service...
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    grimmison wrote:
    Like where are the best roadie shops, what clubs are there for friendly but fast rides and which direction should I go to get to some decent hills (I'm moving from the peaks).
    The Beacon will be one of your nearest clubs. We have about 150 members of all ages, we're long-established and our interests range from touring, sportives, Audaxes and social riding to time-trialling, road and track-racing. Our club runs meet at the Black Horse, a huge black and white half-timbered pub on the A38 just south of Northfield shopping centre, 9.00am for 9.15am every Sunday. Two runs, A and B run, prob 16-17mph for the A run and a bit slower for the B run. Our club runs are friendly and welcoming for newcomers. You might want a peek and to ask a few questions on our club message board which is very active - you can get there via http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/ . You don't have to be a member to register and get some local info. Folks will be only too pleased to help.

For hills you'll need to head out west, in the direction of Bridgenorth. There's nothing to match the Peak District but there are some fairly hilly routes if you go out via Romsley, Clent, Bewdley, Kinver etc. Why not come on a few club runs and get a few ideas for rides, even if you don't want to join? This Sunday (5th) the clubruns go to Broadway and the week after is our annual 100 in 8 (hours) which is usually a good social outing.
  • pedalrog
    pedalrog Posts: 633
    South side of Edgbaston, you are also reasonably near to http://www.stourbridgecyclingclub.com. Many different types of ride, you will be made welcome, clubruns Saturdays and Sundays, also rides in the week, days and evenings, take your pick from this and the other clubs mentioned in this thread!
  • grimmison
    Cheers for the replies guys. Shall have an explore over the next week or so. The century ride sounds good - I'll try and make it out for it.
  • I suggest you head out towards the Clent Hills. Great views, serious (though short) hills. From Edgbaston, head out along the Hagley Road towards Halesowen. Eventually, you will see hills up on your left. Ride up them!
  • Will1985
    Will1985 Posts: 289
    Edgbaston hmm....future student by any chance? I graduated last month and lived in Selly Park for 2nd year and Harborne Lane this year, virtually opposite Tri-1st, which is actually a triathlon store but the guy who works in there is more of a cyclist and a good mechanic. There isn't much in the shop to browse pure-cycling wise.

I don't rate anything else really - Selly Oak cycles is generally agreed to be a no go area.

I cycled with University club and we went down towards Solihull/Henley in Arden/Alcester for flatter cycling, and Clent for hills (I'm more of a flat rider coming from Norfolk, and my nemesis hill is the one just off the A456 on Hagley Wood Lane....1 mile climb with a horrible kick in the last 200m). You can do a nice 80 mile loop incorporating Edgbaston>Clent>Bromsgrove>Alcester>Henley>Wythall>Edgbaston.
  • grimmison
    Finished with the Student thing now, unfortunately. Although quite looking forward to a bit of income to spend on the bike. Will check out Tri-1st - website looks quite professional.

Last time I cycled with anyone from Norfolk, with Sheff Uni CC, he destroyed me on the climbs - was quite disheartening :wink:

On another note if anyone has time to spare for a midweek 20/30 mile run to show me the area next week then let me know.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    I agree with Ste_S here - I'm originally from that neck of the woods and have been a Fred Williams customer for about 17-18 years now (I still pop by if I'm in the area), and the size/variety of stock, plus the service, is well above average.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    red kite in solihull are a decent lbs.
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • Yes, Red Kite Cycles have always looked after me, i've bought my last 2 bikes off them, they even looked after me when i bought a bike through mail order, and it needed work done on it.

I live in solihull, not far from edgbaston, so not too many hills as such, but some pretty good rides around earlswood, and tamworth, there one hill in Tamworth in Arden, that i have never managed to get up, even with a triple .....

Geoff
  • Lifeson
    Lifeson Posts: 327
    grimmison wrote:
    Finished with the Student thing now, unfortunately. Although quite looking forward to a bit of income to spend on the bike. Will check out Tri-1st - website looks quite professional.

Last time I cycled with anyone from Norfolk, with Sheff Uni CC, he destroyed me on the climbs - was quite disheartening :wink:

On another note if anyone has time to spare for a midweek 20/30 mile run to show me the area next week then let me know.

Did you get yourself sorted with a midweeek ride?
    "You must return here with a shrubbery, or else, you will never pass through this wood... alive."
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    I'd offer the mid-week ride up but I'm only just starting going beyond commuting so 20-30 miles is probably my limit. I'm out west in Quinton though so if you want a bit of a guide out towards the clent hills then I'm more than happy to oblige.

Graham
  • Birmingham City Cycles have 3 rides a week A fast one and a slower one on a Saturday morning both starting at 7:00 am. Usually over 30 riders.

Their other is Thursday night at 6:30 pm about 35 miles about 20 riders for that one.

They welcome all and ensure all gt back to town.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting