Can you guys give me some advice on pannier bags ??

AmazingEd
AmazingEd Posts: 20
edited August 2007 in Workshop
Hi guys

Just thought I'd ask if anybody can tell me what a good make of pannier bags are.

I use my bike alot to go shopping so space is good. I also use it to go camping and longish days out.

I have cheap raliegh tripe pannier bags at the mo and want to upgrade to some nice ones

I have about £150 to spend but they don't have to be that much :lol:

thank guys I'm looking forward to you advice :D

Comments

• AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Karrimor and Altura do good bags - both should be available at your local bike shop. Ortleib are the "ultimate" - bombproof, waterproof, the sort of thing you take across Mongolia.
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Don't forget Carradice. http://carradice.co.uk/info.htm Some say they last longer than Ortlieb. I have managed to make a cut in an Ortlieb, which I doubt would have happened with Carradice Super C. I suspect you could chuck some Super C bags out of a car on the motorway and they wouldn't wear through. On the other hand Super C is not completely waterproof, so I've heard. Do Super C users wrap their stuff in Sainsbury's bags?
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Philip Davis
    Philip Davis Posts: 965
    If you can afford them, then Ortlieb or Carradice are the best option - they are tried and tested, very good products. In my experience, good panniers pay for themselves in the long term, they last so much better. Having once totalled a rear wheel when the clasp of a cheap pannier snagged it at high speed, i no longer see cheap panniers as saving money!

For a slightly cheaper option - Vaude are essentially a cheaper brand 'influenced' by Ortlieb. Almost as good, but a lot less.

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • AmazingEd
    Thanks guys great help :wink:
  • AmazingEd
    The Super C Rear Panniers look fantatic :shock:
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    I have experience of Carradice products in the shape of and SQR tour bag. The quality is fantastic, but as said above the prices are steep. Try having a look on ebay. Carradice or Ortleib products are so good, second hand ones may well be a better bet than new cheaper makes.

Also I have quite a few Altura products ( although not bags) and they are all very good quality pieces of kit.
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    Vaude are essentially a cheaper brand 'influenced' by Ortlieb.

That was true a few years ago when Vaude could rightly be considered Ortlieb copies. The latest range should demonstrate they've moved on and offer equal quality with a choice of features. I prefer their solid backs and fitting system, some may find the increased heel clearance on larger panniers useful. I recently bought two of the new discovery panniers to go with my Ortliebs, only time will tell how tough the lightweight material is, I can already see that everything else about them is first rate.
    http://store.securehosting.com/stores/s ... emcode=143
  • Here's the ones I decided on.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360007499

The super C's aren't fully water proof so I went witht he Ortlieib