Panniers as Hand Luggage

Aidocp
Aidocp Posts: 868
edited July 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hi its been over a year since I last flew and previously I took one of my rear Panniers (Ortlieb Sportpacker Plus) on the plane as hand luggage, with all the security stuff, am I likely to have any problems this year?

Comments

• Philip Davis
    Philip Davis Posts: 965
    I don't see any reason why there should be a problem, I've brought panniers through many times, although not in the last 12 months. I don't think there is anything in a pannier that won't be found in a regular stiff bag.

As my panniers are usually filthy, i find that carrying them in a strong plastic shopping bag (preferably from a posh, upmarket shop), means that you get less funny looks from check in staff and security.

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • Sorr Aidocp, I don't know the answer to your question but if you could just let me have your address and the dates you are away, i will come around and relieve you of that beautiful Bianchi.
    All the best :wink:
    Johnny
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    So long as it fits within the the specified size, this depends on airline but is usually about 56x45x25cm (22x18x10in), it shouldn't be a problem.
    Sorr Aidocp, I don't know the answer to your question but if you could just let me have your address and the dates you are away, i will come around and relieve you of that beautiful Bianchi.
    All the best :wink:
    Johnny

That is a very generous offer from Johnny Ergo... :lol:
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Aidocp wrote:
    Hi its been over a year since I last flew and previously I took one of my rear Panniers (Ortlieb Sportpacker Plus) on the plane as hand luggage, with all the security stuff, am I likely to have any problems this year?

Yes they do fit the new security requirements. But you can't pack tools (or nail clippers for that matter) in your hand luggage. So presumably you will have to check some luggage in.
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    Thanks for the replies folks,

PS Johnny, I'm away this decade :wink: