Problems adjusting front derailleur...

sc0ttb88
sc0ttb88 Posts: 33
edited July 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Had a go at fitting a front left shifter for my gears yesterday but can't seem to get it to shift smoothly and without crunching. I put the new cable in, routed it down the down tube and connected it to the front derailleur then put the chain on the inner chain ring and pulled the cable tight before securing the screw.

I set the high and low limit screws and they are grand but I can't seem to get the cable tension right. If it's too tight it seems to move the chain up to the outer chain ring skipping the middle one and if it's too loose it simply doesn't move to the next gear at all!

Played about with the barrel adjuster but not totally sure if this is the way to go about it. Has anyone any tips or advice for doing this? I spent about 2 hours doing this last night and I don't want to have to bring it into the bike shop to get repaired again! 

PS. Shifter is Shimano Deore and crank & derailleur is standard one that comes with the DB M05.

Cheers

Comments

• Take a look at Park Tools web site http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75 or follow the Shamano booklet step by step. Don't pull the cable too tight when doing up the clamp.

Also make sure the cable is clamped correctly in the front mech clamp, check the Shimano instruction booklet and pay particular attention to the cable routing through the clamp.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • sc0ttb88
    sc0ttb88 Posts: 33
    Thanks! That's a great article on the Park website :-)