Brake callipers with different sized rotors

atypidae
atypidae Posts: 6
edited August 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm upgrading my brakes from cheap Shimano mechanical disks to Juicys. I can get a good deal on 8" Juicy 7's at the LBS (much cheaper than the 6" ones). I don't really want 8" rotors, and definately don't need them. My hubs are centerlock. Can I keep the 6" Shimano rotors, and use the 8" Juicy 7 callipers on them?
Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes just get some adaptors for the calipers to allow them to run 6" discs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • atypidae
    atypidae Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply.
    Just to clarify: all the callipers are the same, and the only thing hat differs betwen the 8" and 6" set is the rotors?
    Thanks
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    No. There's potentially 3 differences. Obviously the rotor is the first. Next up is the adapter which positions the caliper at the correct outside diameter for the rotor size you have chosen, and finally there's the depth of the pad which determines how deep the braking suface of your rotor needs to be.

For example, HFX9s are deeper pads than Hope M4s so you can use Hayes discs with the Hopes but the other way round is not recommended.

Personally I can't comment of the interchangebility of Shimano and Avid as I've never had either.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Has anyone used Avid calipers on Shimano rotors?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown