Looking after GoreTex jackets

bike_the_planet
bike_the_planet Posts: 260
edited August 2007 in Tour & expedition
Fellow tourists - anyone have any ideas on the best way to care for GoreTex jackets?

I have a shell jacket that is starting to get damp inside after heavy rain. Is there any kind of spray or care product I can apply to amke it waterproof but breathable again?

Thanks in advance
BTP,

Perth, WA

Comments

• AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Here's the offical care instructions.

I wash with a bio detergent at 40 then hang to dry over a heater on low (no tumble dryer here). Don't forget, your reflective gets battered when washing...
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • Philip Davis
    Philip Davis Posts: 965
    Personally I don't like goretex for touring as I find it doesn't stand up to too much dust and mud.

But if you can't get your hands on the recommended washing and reproofing chemicals, just give it a good wash with the 'purest' soap powder you can get - i.e. one without bleach, optical brighteners, fabric softener etc. Liquid travelwash is fine. It usually works very well, although there is a limit to how much washing goretex can take.

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    Reproofing it your self can be very hit and miss. As GoreTex comes with a lifetime guarantee you can get it back to the retailer and ask them to send it back to Gore. Gore will then test it and provide that it is not leaking due to physical damage, they will reproof it for you (or in some cases replace the garment) for free.
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    I bought my current goretex for my 2001 spring tour to New Zealand since then it has been used every day between october and march and has travelled approximately 25000 km being used in some major deluges - most recently Sweden and finland where it kept out the rain in its normal efficient manner - soon to be replaced by another goretex because after a crash in spain two or three years ago and general wear and tear its getting a bit tatty

care:- I wash regularly in TX10 - nothing else and dry on a hanger so that it keeps it shape - a silicion based spray on it to restore its water shedding capabilities once a year

Was expensive but owes me nothing
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    If the DWR (Durable Water Repellant) coating wear out the fabric "wets out" - it doesn't leak, but breathability is impaired so you get wet inside du to sweat. Wash and treat as described above and tumble dry or iron on a low heat to reactivate DWR.

Having said that I have had several Gore Tex garments fail (they de-laminate) but Gore (or the shop or the garment manufacturer) have always replaced the garment without quibble, no matter how old - for this reason I will always stick with Gore.

If after treating as above you still get wet, send it back.