£800 hardtail

2»

Comments

• lofty102
    lofty102 Posts: 138
    I no what you mean, there are so many good bikes around the £800 mark. I've got it down to 3....... or 4 bikes which is basically where i started, but the 3 or 4 have changed!!
    Cube Team Ltd - Really like it, but not sure bout some components eg hollowtech cranks, any good??
    Trek 6700 - good bike & good spec & £100 cheaper than my limit
    Scott Scale - good bike and good spec
    Saracen Zen 3 - great fork, decent spec & £100 over my limit (but is the fork worth the extra??)

This topic has been a great help but its also caused a lot of head scratching cause so many good bikes have been mentioned eg Decathlon 8.2, Marin & Kona Calderra!!

I will Decided .......Eventually..........One day!!!!!
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • stanny
    stanny Posts: 28
    Lofty, yeah I've got a few Saracens - at cheap end a Mantra 1 and at other end Kili Flyer 3, but I've ridden a Zen 3 and it was a great ride
  • Yeah, its hard.

I am looking for something I can do serious XC racing on but also something I can have fun on.

I have it down to two, the Merlin Malt 4 and the Scott Scale 50. Thats it. The Trek is ok, the Cube i know nothing about and I dont rate Saracens.

I think the Scott will win out.
    The Prince

'RIDE HARD, RIDE HARDTAIL'
  • lofty102
    I would say for racing you won't go far wrong with the scott prince, i'm glad some one can make there mind up!!!
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • I think so to.

As soon as the funds clear it will be on order from Drake's.

http://www.drakescycles.co.uk/products. ... d=m1b0s2p0

Let me know what you choose. When do you have to buy or are you taking your time?

I have 2 XC races in October so wanna have a couple of months training time on it.
    The Prince

• lofty102
    I'll let you know. I don't have buy it for any races or anything but as soon as i get off the ship i work on i'l be going shopping and having a couple of demo's, then making the purchase, so this time next week i should have my new steed!! Do you do a lot of racing prince?
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • I used to do lots of XC racing a few years ago when I was at uni and for a couple of years after, then hockey and work got in the way. So after 4 years aways from the sport I want to have another go at the age of 28.

Started training on my old suped up Carerra for the last 6 weeks or so and have entered the Gorrick Autumn classic XC races in October, hence a new bike.

Dont was to go mad as I know £800 will get me something decent for the job, but it has been hard to decide.

I should have the steed next week also.
    The Prince

• lofty102
    Nice 1!! Well let me know how you get on with the Scott as it is still a major contender for me. And Good luck with your races!!
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • lofty102
    I just would like to say thank you to everyone who has helped (i think!!) me in this topic, when i get home i'll be having a go on the Scott scale 50, trek 6700 and the saracen zen 3. thanks again,
    El Loft!
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • Red Panda
    Red Panda Posts: 269
    passout wrote:
    They used to have Magura forks, avoid these., but Magura brakes are great.

My Magura forks are Great, can't think of a bad word to say about them.
  • tubsolard
    tubsolard Posts: 150
    I bought a Cannondale F700 for £899 (down from £1,299), a bit over budget but a very nice bike.
    I have spent allot of money converting it to all mountain though, rather than just XC, it was fine as it is for this, but I preferred to get longer travel forks and a few other bits and bobs.
    Cannondale Super Six Evo
    Cannondale Slice Aero
  • Money down, I did it.

Scott Scale 50 from Drakes Cycles for £746. Will be with me Monday.

So glad I have done it.

Ill let you know how I get on.

PP
    The Prince

• The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Lovely looking bike.Let us know how you find it. :)
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • We it came yesterday and its awesome.

Had ride down the road this morning and it was ace. Light and sexy.

Cant wait to take it out tomo XC.

I will update you.

"Scott Scale 50, try it, you might like it"
    The Prince