Front mech band sizes

morrisje
morrisje Posts: 507
edited July 2007 in Workshop
I've bought a Kinesis TK frame and am busy buying all the bits for it. I've got to the front mech and I'm getting confused. I want to kit it out with 9 speed 105 or Tiagra. There seems to be a number of different sizes for the band on front mechs. The Kinesis website says that the TK should have a 31.8 front mech, so far so good. When I look at adverts for front mechs the Tiagra and 105 don't specify the band size. What is the standard 9 speed band size for these groups sets?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    be aware that it is posible to get these front mechs with one band and inserts to reduce the diameter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MarvintheAndroid
    MarvintheAndroid Posts: 409
    edited July 2007
    What Nick said is absolutely correct, but it may not apply to the Tiagra. From what I can see you need to specify the band size when ordering.

Take a look at the Chain Reaction web site. The Tiagra 9sp front mech is offered in double chainring or triple chainring versions - I guess you want double. The web site requires you to chose 28.6mm, 31.8mm or braze on.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13618

So the moral of the story is check the spec when buying, and if it doesn't specify, ask !

Marv

[Edit]

In case you want, here is the 105
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13617
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Marvin the Tiagra also comes multi band. but also dedicated. ie the 34.9 will fit all 3 sizes as it comes with the adaptors.

just make sure you get the correct angle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I sit corrected.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.