Wheel Upgrade HELP!!!

steve23
steve23 Posts: 2,202
edited May 2009 in Workshop
ok....

im looking to upgarde my wheels on my Spesh Tarmac, from mavic Aksium to something else!!!

my budget is £500-£750 and thats my very very top price!!!

any suggestions? i thought maybe Fulcrum Racing Zero?

i will be using them to race on too!

thanks! :D
_______________________________________________________________________________________
If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!

Comments

• winkywonky
    winkywonky Posts: 228
    I got Fulcrum Racing 3's about a month ago which have so far been superb. A bit below your price range but worth thinking about if you decide to lower your budget. :)
  • steve23
    cheers for that. i suppose if i have to pay less, i could be forced too!!!

i do like the fulcrum range though.

arent they a bit tight to get tyres onto though?
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
  • rohloff-rich
    rohloff-rich Posts: 232
    Why not got for the 1s rather than the race? The 1s probably won't gain you much difference in weight, speed or feel - especially if you're replacing Askiums. They're also only £400 on http://www.chainreactioncycles.com, which no doubt saves you quite a lt which you could spend on something like a carbon 'cockpit' setup (bars, stem, seatpost)?

Just a thought like... :D
    An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    if it were my money...

i'd stay with Mavic and get the ksyrium ES - very smart and about as light as it gets!
  • Shavedlegs
    Shavedlegs Posts: 310
    I'm about to ungrade to Shamal Ultras. Bit lighter than Mavic ES, not as common and look fantastic. I could help notice them in the peloton. £529 from Parkers.

I've had Zondas for three years, done thousands of miles on them, in all weather conditions including the Etape. I've been so impressed with them I would use another manufacturer. Obviously as Campag make Fulcrums that gives a lot of wheels to choose from.
  • the_jackalcp
    the_jackalcp Posts: 276
    One set of wheels a lot of people miss are the Easton range. Depending on how much you weigh you could get the Ascent II (1419g) or if you fancy something a little more heavy duty and aero then the Tempest II (1500g). Both are less cash than the Mavic ES and as light or lighter.

I have the tempest II and they are super smooth and very strong, a real good value wheel in my opinion. I believe they even have some new wheels out this year, part of the ec90 range I believe.
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    honestly, you ought to consider an aero wheel such as the Mavic Cosmic Carbone.
  • what about a wheelset for a heavier rider? I want stiffness and strength over ultimate weight, or lack of it. Currently using a pair of FSA RD220's which are ok. By the way has anyone any experience of the Quest Como wheels, which are advertised at a very low price.
  • wildmoustache
    if you want stiffness and strength then you won't go wrong with the high-end campagnolo and fulcrum wheels or the cosmic carbones, which are at the top of your budget but have the advantage of being significantly more aerodynamic that shallow and mid-section wheels.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    if you want fulcrums,

cheapest place is here,

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/

they post to all UK, Fulcrum 3's are only 260, so I am sure zeros and ones are at similar discounts
  • steve23
    i have looked at the Mavic Cosmic Carbone's, but what are they like to ride?

wont they be difficult in high winds!?

i have never ridden anything but "normal" rims before now!!!!
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    what about a wheelset for a heavier rider? I want stiffness and strength over ultimate weight, or lack of it. Currently using a pair of FSA RD220's which are ok. By the way has anyone any experience of the Quest Como wheels, which are advertised at a very low price.

I have the quest como's and they are superb for what i need them for. Ultimate strength within a very megre budget.

I'm over 20 stone and my old wheels just fell apart everytime i rode the bike but the quest's have kept true for best part of 700 miles. They arnt very light though so dont expect huge performance gains
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    I've got a couple of pairs of Quest Comos. Whilst they are a tad heavy, they are excellent all round wheels - I use one pair with Armadillo 25s in the winter and the other pair with Conti slicks as TT warm up wheels.
  • wildmoustache
    steve23, the cosmic carbones are awesome to ride. they are a bit heavier than some of the above, but have an unstoppable feel to them. ROLLING THUNDER! look very nice too. I don't find deep sections too bad in winds. you just compensate. thsy are stiff wheels that are great to climb on and are monsters on the flat!!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I've got a pair of the Zero's and they are fantastic wheels, you really can't go wrong with them, plus I really like the look and I've yet to see another rider with them as opposed to the ubiquitous Mavic's.
  • wildmoustache
    I've got a pair of the Zero's and they are fantastic wheels, you really can't go wrong with them, plus I really like the look and I've yet to see another rider with them as opposed to the ubiquitous Mavic's.

lots of people down here in London and the south east have Zeros! Even more in Italy! But you're right, it's a fraction of the Ksyrium user population. I like the Zeros as well. Not aero but otherwise great.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    sorry to butt in.,..but are you selling the Askiums?!

PM me if you are.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • For that money. if you can, you should try Rolf Prima. i've got Elan Aero Rs's and they are awesome, especially uphill - a set only wieghs 1360g including skewers. they knock about 2 minutes off my 24 mile round trip to work compared to my old Campag Protons, they look brilliant IMO and hardly anyone else has them.
    pm
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Has anyone got any experience of the Specialized Roval Fusee Star Wheel Set at all?
    They look quite interesting.
    ________
    LENDERS MORTGAGE INSURANCE DICUSSION
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • steve23
    ddraver - sorry but i will be keeping my aksiums as training wheels!!!

i just dont know what to choose!

what are the mavic cosmos wheels like for fitting tyres?
  • wildmoustache
    steve23 wrote:
    ddraver - sorry but i will be keeping my aksiums as training wheels!!!

i just dont know what to choose!

what are the mavic cosmos wheels like for fitting tyres?

do you mean mavic cosmic carbone? absolutely dead easy - all mavic wheels are IME.

only the lower end campag and fulcs seem to have big tyre fitting issues.
  • blackhands wrote:
    I've got a couple of pairs of Quest Comos. Whilst they are a tad heavy, they are excellent all round wheels - I use one pair with Armadillo 25s in the winter and the other pair with Conti slicks as TT warm up wheels.

I'm 90 kgs and will never get below 85, so weight isnt important to me, what is, is stiffness and a bit of aero for TTing. How do they compare to say shimano tiagra wheels (which are reasonably stiff but heavy but similar price to the Quests)

I am looking at easton ascents (maybe too lightweight) and fulcrum.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    "only the lower end campag and fulcs seem to have big tyre fitting issues."

I've heard of people having trouble with all sorts of rims, eg Sun Metal.
  • hello i have a set of the quest como to fit to a bike for my friend, haven't ridden them yet as the threads are still to be sorted in the frame but have to say they were a bit of a pig to get the michelin tyres onto, burst two tubes in the process, they do look pretty bombproof though, my mate is a biggish bloke so we chose them for their strength
    Cf
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    domtyler wrote:
    Has anyone got any experience of the Specialized Roval Fusee Star Wheel Set at all?
    They look quite interesting.

A bit of thread archeology here :)

Was wondering if any one knows about the Specialized Roval Fusee. I assume that, like with most things, there will be little or no noticable difference with similar wheelsets at similar prices. I can get a set of these for 350, probably shuld just go ahead but thought id post incase there's any obvious disadvantages, cheers all :D
  • gkerr4
    the only disadvantage I know is that they are ugly as feck!

But seems like a decent price if you like 'em!

:-)
  • ukracer
    ukracer Posts: 421
    georgee wrote:
    if you want fulcrums,

cheapest place is here,

they post to all UK, Fulcrum 3's are only 260, so I am sure zeros and ones are at similar discounts

You sure on those prices???? Am i missing something?
  • gkerr4
    ukracer wrote:
    georgee wrote:
    if you want fulcrums,

cheapest place is here,

You sure on those prices???? Am i missing something?

that was posted nearly two years ago mate!

The world has changed since then - and so have exchange rates!
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    gkerr4 wrote:
    the only disadvantage I know is that they are ugly as feck!

But seems like a decent price if you like 'em!

:-)

Cheers mate :D Was a bit nervous of checking back in case there were a torrent of other suggestions :roll:
    I'll be getting those then.

P.s what's ugly about them? They look pretty boring to me :?
  • gkerr4
    aren't they the ones with the star shaped hub thing?

they look as thought they would be quite aero thought as the actual hub flange is narrower - not my cup of tea though. They put them on the S-Works roubaix for a while - i'm not keen - but we are all different!