Mail Order / Internet Shopping

Oleg177
Oleg177 Posts: 9
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Any advice on buying a cycle on-line? Would you recommend it or would you steer clear?

Short and sweet I know.

Cheers,

Comments

• XTCRider
    XTCRider Posts: 113
    Depends on the online supplier. I bought a MTB from Wiggle a couple of years ago and it came in a huge cardboard box ready assembled and set up, took it out of the box and rode it. No prbs for me
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtcrider/sets/72057594126938720/

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike, I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I like
  • colonel
    colonel Posts: 37
    Oleg177 wrote:
    Any advice on buying a cycle on-line? Would you recommend it or would you steer clear?

Short and sweet I know.

Cheers,

depends on the supplier

many will setup and send (essential). but the handlebars, peddals and front wheel need to be attached.

most bike shops offer a free service after 6 months or so. if the mailorder shop is not near you, you will miss out on this.

if you buy from a shop that is reputable locally (cyclesurgery, evanscycles, hargrovescycles, etc.) there is no reason why it should not be reputable by mail order.

there is actually more legal protection for mail order using a credit card then in a shop.

the biggest drawback is if you find something wrong, or its the wrong bike (yikes!). then sending it back is a hassle as its so big (unless the shop has a return agreement with the courier).

I bought one mailorder ......
  • I think it also depends on how competent you are at working on bikes if you know nothing it can be dangerous.
  • Melpro
    Melpro Posts: 35
    I bought mine mail order and supplied the shop with my measurements. The bike I bought was a perfect fit but did have a design fault i.e. triple chain ring on a small frame, meant the chain was always slightly bent and kept jumping the gears.

Felt a bit of an idiot because I then had to take the bike to my local bike shop to sort out. It then went back to the manufacturer to be fitted with a compact chain ring.

I'm not sure I would buy this way again particularly if you are not a standard size. The LBS were very good but I still felt very embarrassed not getting it from them in the first place. :oops: Plus I also had to pay for the first service.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    I never buy a bike without putting my bum on the seat first. Need a test-ride to know it'll be comfy.
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    If you KNOW what you want it could be great.

I'd rather go to my LBS, better service.

On the other hand if you try at Halfrauds and can buy it on line then I see no problem :shock:

I'd still go to LBS though.....
    Richard

Giving it Large