gear ratios

john74
john74 Posts: 254
edited July 2007 in MTB general
i just wondered what is the usual size of the big cog on your cassette is mines a 32t is this about right or should i be looking at a 34t for major climbing.
2010 Forme Reve
2010 Giant Talon 1

Comments

• Blundell
    Blundell Posts: 308
    I have to admit I'm a fan of the 34 teeth big ring on my cassette. Gives a few more options on the really steep granny ring climbs rather than the 32 teeth which just feels too taut on some of the climbs i liem to do.
    Unless you're into steep hill riding you would easily get away with 32 teeth as the difference isn't really all that much.
    (does that make sense?)
  • TomR
    TomR Posts: 50
    I'm tempted ot get a 34t ring soon, maybe even smaller. My DMR Trailstar used to be a great allround bike, but now i suffer so much with uphills. I'm running a roady rear cassette so my 38t ring is way too big. I find with ratios its just a suck it and see type thing, get a cheap one of both sixes and see which you prefer.
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    edited July 2007
    Freeride bike, 36T single ring on the front 32-11 on the rear.

XC bike, 22-32-42 and 32-11 on the rear.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    I'd always go for an 11 tooth small ring at the back, i find that easy enough to spin out on the flat as it is!
  • daxion
    daxion Posts: 104
    I run a 24/36t up front and 11/34 rear on my Enduro and a single 36t and 11/34 on my Nitrous. this way I always have the same ratio on both bikes.

Rarely use the granny anyway.

I find the 32t front is too low.
    Dave - Spin instructor