Tenerife Experience 1 - Mount Teide

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2008 in Tour & expedition
This was my account of the ascent of Mount Teide from the Southern Approach..for me this was more difficult than any Pyrenean/Alpine etc adventure i'd embarked on.

I must say that Tenerife has a bad image due to the ugly Las Americas resorts etc...but after cycling a good bit of the island I have to say I was absolutely stunned by the sheer beauty of the island...it really has so much diversity...and the north of the island looks even better!...Heres my first experience:-

Up early at 6.30am...to get to the foot of the climb (Los Christianos) I had a bloody great big drag of a climb out of my resort...I then had to negotiate 10kms of Motorway...what a real dangerous road that is!...anyway lost all the height gained dropping into Los Christianos...started the climb...around 8am...I was on the pretty busy TF-28 for around 4km's...around 6% average gradient...then I turned onto the TF-51 and headed for Arona.....the road was quiet,well surfaced -bliss!...As I was heading into Arona I got attacked by a small legged dog and it was really wanting to dig its bits into me..Never knew I could big ring it so fast going uphill ;-)....it got a bit steeper here ~9%...anyway I was sweating like a pig and nearly emptied 1 1/2 litres of water so the 1st of 2 planned stops were here...got 2 more litres of liquid...uptil now I had cycled up around 9kms...Arona sits at 600meters....off again and when leaving Arona I seen the sign for the next stop - Vilaflor 17km's!....here we go I thought, the road uptil Vilaflor was gorgeous...so much different scenery...with tons of switchbacks which stretched up the mountain as far as you could see....I was feeling great...getting all those excited feelings about feeling so good....never pushing too hard but a good cadence was going it must be said.....the switchbacks turned into long straight drags...and It felt like I had been climbing forever....the sun was terrifyingly hot now and there was a stream pouring off me..I then seen the Pine trees, I was now heading into the Carona Forest where Vilaflor is situated....after an eternity I came into Vilaflor...Vilaflor's the highest village in Europe(if you incude this as Europe at 1450 meters)....I had been climbing now 26 km's...the gradient had been sustained between 5-9%.....2 more litres of water were bought here, a few gels and bars here aswell...seen 2 other cyclists who had came up the otherway...2 race whippets by the looks of them...they pointed to me indicate which way I was heading...when I pointed up they just gave me the your crazy 'pointiing index finger at there head' gesture...they then sped off downhill....I plodded on...I was now on the TF-21 which takes me right upto and through the 'Las Canadas' Crater...seen the sign for Boca Tauce(this is the end of the climb)...16km's!....jesus I had been climbing solid for 26km's and still had 16km's to go....longest climb I'd ever did before was the Croix De Fer (29km's).....so now I was in uncharted territory...but I still felt strong....probably a bit smug I was because this mountain was very shortly going to kick my gonads stupid....I knew the next 5km's were the steepest parts of the climb...13% sections.....well there was difference straight away after Vilaflor...I was completely shaded in the Forest but the road really kicked up...seen the kilometer roadsigns were counting down and at Vilaflor they were TF-21 ( 68 km)...so roughly calculated Boca Tauce was around the 52 kilometer mark...these kilometer signs are great when feeling good but become a psycological nightmare when suffering...as the steep ramps started I started to feel the power draining...these ramps went on and on...with soul destroying long straights at 10%....it started to become a real struggle....I now started to hate the kilo signs....then that frightening weak feeling started to come one....still had ages to go aswell...not good!...the next 5kms descended into a struggle for survival...between kilo signs 66 - 60 I suffered terribly...you know what I mean....then the cramps started...1st the right leg then the left...had to 'honk' out the saddle to get through this.....my legs were now feeling numb...the steeper 6kms after Vilaflor had done the damage...the road levelled off to around 7% again but too late -my legs were shot......started to shake slightly....such an effort...strange feeling this is....I don't know what hurt in me...It wasnt my legs or Lungs...I just think I was ALL hurt....was in 30x24 and could not get a bigger gear going even on the 7% gradient...this 7% went on for ages and it was now all in my head...I was now into the 50's km signs....at least I was in the right dec...and into single kms to go....it was around here a guy and wife were taking a video of the scenery and seen me cycling up...he waved at me as if for me to wave back....hand't even the energy...just wanted to get to the top....I was wondering what altitude I was at -reckoned around 1900meters or so then I turned the corner and the road flattened...then went down! I descended 2 km's off this then seen the sign 'El Retamer 2100meters'.....yipee!...where the road had flattened was the 2200meters mark...descended to Boca Tauce after a few pics...what a stunning place....have attached a few photo's of Teide..felt rather sick and to be honest pretty scared by the experience so wanted back home ASAP....couldnt even be bothered to take any real decent photo's...descended off the western side of the mountain....what a real crappy road.....made the lake district roads look top notch!...anyway had to stop for Cola/Fruit on the descent...was it nice to drink that cold cola in that oven...and I got a big slice of Water Melon to go aswell...lovely...took me around 1 1/2 hours to descend fully off the mountain....

Facts:-
40 km's of continous climb....no flat at all.
2200 meters ascent.

Scenery:-
Awesome....couldn't beleive the diversity of this climb....from arid desert like(hotel california) scenery to Lush Dense Forests...then onto the surface of the Moon!...thought it was the best scenery until I visited Masca!

Experience.
Started off great and confident - Finished off in tatters!...the climb really put me on the edge...would never have managed it if feeling dodgy...tougher than any Alpine/Pyrenean climbs i've did...Christ it was way tougher than Ventoux (IMO)and it takes me a lot to say that!...just such a huge climb....and I stopped off for 5min breaks twice on this......can only really think of one or 2 climbs(in Hawai) which are bigger.....

Think this island would be perfect for that winter break...excellent temperature all the year round...not to be underestimated...very tough cycling everywhere...you don't have to do the mammoth Teide ascent all the time as there a other smaller mountain ranges which offer super scenery/road structures...including the Teno Mountain range...where my next experience lay...sadly never got to the Anaga Mountain range but that is also supposedly stunning.

I got great advice from Leslie Brown from http://www.tenerife-training.net/
He runs a cycling business over in the North of the island and has a cracking fleet of bikes etc for hire.

You can see his video of the island on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKDeLQBkWBs

I travelled with Monarch Airlines and they took my bike no probs for £30 there and back.

Comments

• videoman
    videoman Posts: 29
    Another great write up.
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    Great write up thanks.

People think of the Pyrenean/Alpine as being high, which they are, but they forget that the starting point is also high. Mount Teide is unusual in that the starting point is near sea level, so the transition is huge and therefore a greater challenge.
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • But you only went part way up Teide. You should have turned right at Boca and carried on through the caldera and climbed past the start of the funicular to the summit and got up to about 9000 ft before descending to the north via Oratava.The climb from Los Cristianos to Teide is not particularly difficult on 42x28 for the steepest bits,I have done it several times,once accompanied by my wife.
    Blackburn UK
    Lake Wales Florida
  • Anonymous
    But you only went part way up Teide. You should have turned right at Boca and carried on through the caldera and climbed past the start of the funicular to the summit and got up to about 9000 ft before descending to the north via Oratava.The climb from Los Cristianos to Teide is not particularly difficult on 42x28 for the steepest bits,I have done it several times,once accompanied by my wife.

Part of the way......listen mate that wasn't part of the way...I reached 2200meters..then descended abot 3km's into Boca Tauce....I cycled along about 3 km's heading towards the Cable Car but turned back because I hadn't any liquid left and was unsure if I could get any up there...the top is 2330meters at the cable car...I climbed to 2200meters then descended to around 2050 meters in the crater...I would have been on the flat for 8kms before the very small climb upto the Cable Car...to me thats still not the same climb...the 2200 meters constant uphill was the climb for me...

The climb to Teide from Los Christianos to Teide was indeed difficult...and 42x28 isn't the gear I'd suggest to use on it...especially in 30oC Heat....but I did read a few accounts of the ascent and lots of people take 5-6 hours to get up...it took me around 3.10 actual cycling constantly uphill...if thats not difficult on its own then I don't know what is.

Maybe you are a great athelete...and even if you are married to Nicole Cooke I do get pretty annoyed with people making out 40km climbs are easy peasy and i'm making a bit of a fuzz over nothing...I've did all the big climbs in the Alpes/Pyrenees etc and Teide was more difficult(for me)...but the Pyrenees/Alpes are probably nowt to you aswell...probably do those on a 42x18?...what do you do Masca on?
  • I'm with you Richyboy - for my money El Teide must be the longest constant ascent in Europe. Unlike Alpine or Pyreneean ascents you start at sea level. I was there in May on a rented bike. starting from the North at Santa Cruz [on the promenade to ensure sea level start!]. The incline wasn't stupid steep, in my opinion, but it just went on so long that it sucked the life out of you. I've done Ventoux before, but 40km of climbing with no let up at all was severe.

Bizarrely, around 100 metres after I'd turned to head down the chain broke! After a few moments faffing round wondering how to bodge a repair it dawned on me that there was no need. I frewheeled the entire distance back to my hotel front door...

Incidentally, you saw a lot more cyclists than me. for the whole ascent I did't see another sufferer at all - a whole different scene than on Ventoux...
    PS - In September 2010 I’ll be cycling 900 miles from the East Midlands to the Med for cancer research. To find out more about Mids2Med 2010, or to make a donation, visit www.justgiving.com/mids2med2010
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    Hi Richyboy, glad to see you managed some good riding while on holiday. I've stayed in Playa Paraiso before but i was a spotty 16 year old who hadn't discovered cycling, was more interested in chasing females and lying down the wee rocky beach bit, very nice indeed.

Me and Bill have a wee run organised leaving Sat mornings 8am from the Korean war memorial in the b'gate hills. we went out two weeks ago and did a nice 50 miler to lthgow then back to avonbridge, slammanan before going our separate ways at armadale. we didnt do last weekend and i've just booked up to take myself and my bike over to the costa blanca on thursday nicht (ya beauty!) so i wont be around for the next two saturdays but get in touch will bill from the old thread if you fancy it, he may even respond to this.

ta
  • Anonymous
    Fat Head wrote:
    Hi Richyboy, glad to see you managed some good riding while on holiday. I've stayed in Playa Paraiso before but i was a spotty 16 year old who hadn't discovered cycling, was more interested in chasing females and lying down the wee rocky beach bit, very nice indeed.

Me and Bill have a wee run organised leaving Sat mornings 8am from the Korean war memorial in the b'gate hills. we went out two weeks ago and did a nice 50 miler to lthgow then back to avonbridge, slammanan before going our separate ways at armadale. we didnt do last weekend and i've just booked up to take myself and my bike over to the costa blanca on thursday nicht (ya beauty!) so i wont be around for the next two saturdays but get in touch will bill from the old thread if you fancy it, he may even respond to this.

ta

Hi Fathead,

I sent you a private message..let me know if you got it.....don't know how to work this bloody private message thing and its in my outbox rather than my sent box...anyway let me know..
  • ASC1951
    ASC1951 Posts: 992
    I'm with you Richyboy - for my money El Teide must be the longest constant ascent in Europe. Unlike Alpine or Pyreneean ascents you start at sea level. .
    The ride up Pico de Valeta south of Granada may beat it. From memory that is rideable right up to 3000m+ and you can start from not much above sea level.
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    This was my account of the ascent of Mount Teide from the Southern Approach..for me this was more difficult than any Pyrenean/Alpine etc adventure i'd embarked on.

I must say that Tenerife has a bad image due to the ugly Las Americas resorts etc...but after cycling a good bit of the island I have to say I was absolutely stunned by the sheer beauty of the island...it really has so much diversity...and the north of the island looks even better!...Heres my first experience:-

Me and the missus drove this route twice last year when on holiday, its one stunning drive as you say from nigh on sea level straight up to Teide, oh how I'd love to be fit enough to cycle it, an excellent account of a stunning route.
    Tarpaullynn
  • ASC1951
    Don't let a lack of fitness stop you. There's nothing steep on the normal ascent routes to the Caldera, so just take your time.

I'm constantly overtaken by racing snakes on big climbs, but the landscape is soon clear again.
  • Anonymous
    ASC1951 wrote:
    Don't let a lack of fitness stop you. There's nothing steep on the normal ascent routes to the Caldera, so just take your time.

I'm constantly overtaken by racing snakes on big climbs, but the landscape is soon clear again.

I wouldnt climb that with a lack of fitness I must say....I wouldnt manage it or it would take 6 hours or so and would be horrible....40 kms uphill is terrible....yeah I agree theres nothing too steep, but it averages 5.5% over the distance...most UK climbs suffer to try and get above that average...ok its more well graded but 28miles of it solid is a different ballgame....especially the 10% sections after Vilaflor... and at 30oC thats also another huge strain on ou UK conditioned bodies.

So I reckon thats pretty bad advice to give someone...they could possibly hurt themselves, as I said earlier I found this climb tougher than the Ventoux / Toumalet / Galibier / Alpe De Huez / Aubisque etc and I woud never say to someone 'don't let lack of fitness put you off'...I would say dont even try the climbs of that magnitude without putting lots of traing and effort in, with the best fitness you can muster....
  • videoman
    videoman Posts: 29
    I'll second what Richyboy has said above as I live in Tenerife and I personally would not attempt the climbs especially with the heat here unless you are very fit and used to climbing. Its hard enough driving up there in the car.
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    ASC1951 wrote:

I wouldnt climb that with a lack of fitness I must say....I wouldnt manage it or it would take 6 hours or so and would be horrible....40 kms uphill is terrible....yeah I agree theres nothing too steep, but it averages 5.5% over the distance...most UK climbs suffer to try and get above that average...ok its more well graded but 28miles of it solid is a different ballgame....especially the 10% sections after Vilaflor... and at 30oC thats also another huge strain on ou UK conditioned bodies.

So I reckon thats pretty bad advice to give someone...they could possibly hurt themselves, as I said earlier I found this climb tougher than the Ventoux / Toumalet / Galibier / Alpe De Huez / Aubisque etc and I woud never say to someone 'don't let lack of fitness put you off'...I would say dont even try the climbs of that magnitude without putting lots of traing and effort in, with the best fitness you can muster....

Don't worry, as I said I've driven it and know what the road and the climb are like, wouldn't dream of cycling it ............... well I can dream but thats about it :)
    Tarpaullynn
  • ASC1951
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:

I assume that anyone reading this forum is at least a cyclist, rather than Mr Drive Everywhere Lardbucket.

I also assume a certain amount of common sense. If it hurts and makes you dizzy, stop doing it.

All I'm saying is that you don't need to be Pantani to get up climbs like El Teide. I'm a good 20lb overweight and nearly 60 and I got up it just fine, as I have with your other 5 biggies. OK, Pantani could have given me two hours' start, but so what.
  • just back from doing teidi a few times, and have done it before ... from the south west. los gigantes side. got up to the funicular. it is an incredible experience climbing that thing. it's not hard really in the sense of steep but you''ve got to have staying power. los gigantes to the funicular is 51km of which 44km is climbing. 0 - 2300m

if you want hard ... head to masca!
  • Anonymous
    just back from doing teidi a few times, and have done it before ... from the south west. los gigantes side. got up to the funicular. it is an incredible experience climbing that thing. it's not hard really in the sense of steep but you''ve got to have staying power. los gigantes to the funicular is 51km of which 44km is climbing. 0 - 2300m

Agreed - you do need staying power...when I did it it was mid July and it was scorching.....30oC.....that made its just so hard for me...I was ok for the first 30kms or so..but after Vilaflor the 10% ramps came and it just destroyed me...I found it such a tough climb..just soooo long...and I drank 6 liters of water on the ascent alone...Reckon it would be far better at this time of year...Tenerifes a great destination for Winter training...

Masca - done the 'deadly triangle' route...the most beautiful place ive ever seen...the climb back out of masca is very very steep...but well worth it...heres my account:-

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12538997

But I found Teide much tougher than all the climbs I did that day....
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    just back from doing teidi a few times, and have done it before ... from the south west. los gigantes side. got up to the funicular. it is an incredible experience climbing that thing. it's not hard really in the sense of steep but you''ve got to have staying power. los gigantes to the funicular is 51km of which 44km is climbing. 0 - 2300m

Agreed - you do need staying power...when I did it it was mid July and it was scorching.....30oC.....that made its just so hard for me...I was ok for the first 30kms or so..but after Vilaflor the 10% ramps came and it just destroyed me...I found it such a tough climb..just soooo long...and I drank 6 liters of water on the ascent alone...Reckon it would be far better at this time of year...Tenerifes a great destination for Winter training...

Masca - done the 'deadly triangle' route...the most beautiful place ive ever seen...the climb back out of masca is very very steep...but well worth it...heres my account:-

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12538997

But I found Teide much tougher than all the climbs I did that day....

the descent to masca is hard enough, never mind the climb back out! you're right, it's an incredibly nice spot.

tenerife rocks for road biking.

you must head up to the funicular next time you're there. there is about another 300m climbing from boca tauce over about 11km. But the climbing comes in two sections and is fairly steep, meaning that most of it is flat. it also includes the longest stetch of straight road in tenerife (check the map)... and coming back along it with a tailwind is wildly fast ... even though it's flat ... i was pushing 50x11 in the drops and span out at about 45mph!

you MUST do the climb /descent to los gigantes as well. I need to try your route up!

• tenerife rocks for road biking.

you must head up to the funicular next time you're there. there is about another 300m climbing from boca tauce over about 11km. But the climbing comes in two sections and is fairly steep, meaning that most of it is flat. it also includes the longest stetch of straight road in tenerife (check the map)... and coming back along it with a tailwind is wildly fast ... even though it's flat ... i was pushing 50x11 in the drops and span out at about 45mph!

you MUST do the climb /descent to los gigantes as well. I need to try your route up!

Yep, that's one of the toughest parts of the climb, mentally as well as physically. Because just when you have come down a section and you think the climb is over, you instinctively ease off. And then after a few kilometres you can see the crater rim all around, and the road going off up again into the distance. Combined with that tailwind you previously mentioned which is a headwind, and 2000m of altitude, most people are usually exhausted at this point. And then there are some relatively steep sections... :twisted: